LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

write up on changing plugs and wires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 10:37 AM

write up on changing plugs and wires?

Does anybody know of a good write up on the best way to change the spark plugs and wires? I guess I'm gonna have to do them tomorrow. I'm also going to do the opti
Old 07-09-2003, 10:58 AM

dont really need a write up, not hard just time consuming... just like changing the plug and wire on your lawnmower, just alot harder to get to... hardest one in my opinion is the back pass side one. And you have to take the alernator off to get the pass side ones off... i got all mine from the top.. good luck
Old 07-09-2003, 12:11 PM

Did mine on monday. I installed new MSD wires (8.5) and NGKtr55
plugs. Car up on Rhino ramps, the drivers side was easy, got all the plugs and wires from the bottom.Re routing the new wire were easy except for #7 had to re tuck the wire in the heat shield
tray thing.

Passenger side PITA. I removed the Alt and the battery(to work easier on routing the wires thru power steering pump.

#8 was the pain, I laid on top of the motor(blanket) and reached down to remove all the wires(i jerked them out of the holders)
access to each plug is tight , thin arms help. The only time consuming part was running the wires thru the PS opening .
I zip tied the wires and use some of the loom holders. Drove it for an hour and the nect day checked the wires and clearance between the exhaust wires. Total time 3 hours taking my time.
Old 07-09-2003, 12:26 PM

here's how i did it a couple months ago:

driver side
i was able to get the front 3 plugs out from the top, all i had to do was remove the CAI. the back plug is accessable from the bottom. with some patience and a little swearing you can get it out. routing the wires through the stock looms was a bit tough (speically around that rear heat sheild mentioned above). just take your time and take breaks so you don't get frustrated. i worked one plug/wire at a time so i didn't mix up the wires on the opti.

passenger
i was tipped off to this trick by a fellow board member.
remove the alternator and the tension pulley so that you can access the front plugs easier and so that routing the wires along the front of the block is easier. the tension pullie is 2 small bolts!
next, remove the pass. side motor mount bolt, the bolt should be 15mm and the nut 18mm i beleive. once you do this you can jack the motor up about 2 inches (possibley more, but i had a STB in the way). with the motor positioned higher i was able to access all 4 plugs from the top of the engine bay with minimal trouble. with a bit of patience you can route the wires throught he stock looms too. i had spiropro 8mm wires that fit just right in the stock looms.

i was able to do all the work by myself in about 4 hours. this included the removal/reinstallation of cai, alt, and motor mount bolt. i was taking my time and taking alot of breaks. some plugs will take you 20 minutes to do 2 or 3...then it will take you an hour to get that last one...

but 'tis life with an LT1