LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

WTF am I doing wrong?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 11:35 PM

Re: WTF am I doing wrong?!?!?!?

Maybe, but it seemed so traumatizing that he must remember.

-Dustin-
Old 04-04-2005, 04:59 AM

Lol, I'm still traumatized. J/K The reason I was having the incredible difficulty was the Comp R's was that they weren't holding ANY pump once warm oil started to cycle through them. I could set them to a good lash cold, and once warm they'd go soft and the lash would be all fuggered up.

The Joe O cam still lies dormant. I did make it on the dyno, but it only pulled 358/354 @ 5500 RPM, and the power curve flatlined at 5500 RPM and held to 6500 RPM without losing anything. I talked to Joe and he said that cam should pull to 6700.

My biggest concern is that the motor runs rough like you wouldn't believe down low, and seems to overcome the roughness more than clean up after about 2400 RPM. Popping, running extremely rich, and being pickier than all crap with the tuning (VERY picky about fueling and timing changes). Alvin, the PCMforless chip guy, thinks it's a mis-aligned cam install. I haven't had the motivation to tear it open yet, it's just been sitting in the garage. I'm tearing it down this week and am not going to know what to think if everything is in there correct.

The method that seemed to work best for me for adjusting the rockers (especially since I've had the manifold off for lifter swaps twice since the inception of this post) was the single valve method where you do the intake valve, rotate once, then the exhaust valve of each cylinder. Takes longer, but you know EXACTLY where you are by watching the opposing valve movement on the same cylinder.

The running method was an impossibility for me due to how freakin loud the car is, and the both valves of a cylinder at once and multiple cylinder valves at a time methods just didn't seem right given the agressiveness of the cam.

Hope this helps. I've had two successful lash settings with the manifold off now, one with stock lifters the other with new Comp R's, using the I then E by cylinder method.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:25 AM

i thought zero lash was when u couldn't spin the pushrod,,not when you couldn't move it up and down,,am i wrong?

also, i had my comp r's adjusted at 1 full turn past zero lash, and my engine ran great, then adjusted them to 1/4 turn past zero lash,,and they were so noisy i adjusted them back.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Mystic97Z
i thought zero lash was when u couldn't spin the pushrod,,not when you couldn't move it up and down,,am i wrong?

also, i had my comp r's adjusted at 1 full turn past zero lash, and my engine ran great, then adjusted them to 1/4 turn past zero lash,,and they were so noisy i adjusted them back.
If you can't spin the pushrod, you are past zero lash. The point when you begin to feel resistance when spinning the pushrod or when there is no up/down movement is zero lash.

1 turn is a lot of preload for Comp R's. Comp recommends .002-.004 preload on a warm engine.