LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Wtf!!!!???!! Help Please!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 11:37 AM

Wtf!!!!???!! Help Please!!!!

I am in the middle of installing some roller rockers on the LT1.... On the driver side i am having trouble with one of the rockers.... It keeps falling off, eventhough I have set zero lash and given it its 1/2 turn..... I have tried putting another rocker and it does the same...????? any ideas please....... thanks
Old 07-07-2005, 11:55 AM

Re: Wtf!!!!???!! Help Please!!!!

I have tried again and the same thing happens.... It idles ok for about 20 sec. and then for no reason the rocker just falls off..... Can anything be damaged if this keeps happening??? I have also noticed that when i turn the car on some of the rockers lean kind of sideways..... They look as if they are going to fall off, but they do not.....
Old 07-07-2005, 12:09 PM

Are the rockers self aligning or Guide Plate Style? If they are not self aligning you need to make sure you install guide plates. You are setting zero lash when the lifters are on the base circle of the cam right?
Old 07-07-2005, 12:16 PM

The guy that i bought them from told me that they were Self Aligning.... heres a pic of them..... I dont see where it says that they are or are not..... http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Cu...g/HTML/310.asp
Old 07-07-2005, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK #7
The guy that i bought them from told me that they were Self Aligning.... heres a pic of them..... I dont see where it says that they are or are not..... http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Cu...g/HTML/310.asp
Those are roller tipped rockers that use the same slot and ball as the stock rockers do for alignment. So, they are self-aligning If you had no problems before you installed these, I would say you are somehow adjusting them wrong.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:30 PM

The rockers in the link don't look like self aligning to me. There are notches stamped on the tip of the OEM rocker to keep it on the valve stem. I don't see any alignment washers like my Cranes have for aligning. Correct me if I'm wrong but the rockers in the link need guide plates.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:30 PM

Just called Comp Cams.... and they said i have a set of Non Self Aligning rockers....

SHOEBOX are the rockers in the pic self-alingining or NON self alinging....?????
Old 07-07-2005, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by 97pontta
The rockers in the link don't look like self aligning to me. There are notches stamped on the tip of the OEM rocker to keep it on the valve stem. I don't see any alignment washers like my Cranes have for aligning. Correct me if I'm wrong but the rockers in the link need guide plates.
That is exactly what COMP CAMS told me..... guess i will be putting these up for sale... womp womp womp....
Old 07-07-2005, 12:35 PM

Just buy a set of GM guide plates, they are fairly inexpensive. That way you can still use the rockers.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:38 PM
Administrator

The picture is "generic". According to the table of part numbers, and "Note H", you need the part # 1417-16 (1.52X) or 1418-16 (1.6X) for self-aligning applications. What part number do you have?
Old 07-07-2005, 12:38 PM

To be honest, I'm surprised more than one didn't come off. It's a good thing you didn't get out on the road and realize the problem
Old 07-07-2005, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
The picture is "generic". According to the table of part numbers, and "Note H", you need the part # 1417-16 (1.52X) or 1418-16 (1.6X) for self-aligning applications. What part number do you have?
I am not sure which part # they are.... but i NOW know that they are non-self aligning....

Originally Posted by 97pontta
To be honest, I'm surprised more than one didn't come off. It's a good thing you didn't get out on the road and realize the problem
YEs i am glad that it didnt hapen on the road.... just out of curiosity what could/would of happened if say.... I was making a pass on it and a couple of the rockers decided to fall off....
Old 07-07-2005, 04:44 PM

If your engine was running and 1 rocker fell off, one cylinder would die. If a few rockers fell off, your engine would die. Then you would have no steering etc etc etc.....

How can you not know the part number of the parts you received????? Even if you threw away the box they came in, don't you still have the bill?????
How did you identify them to Comp Cams without a part number???????

If you have actually received NSA then you can use guides like was mentioned above but you will have to get hardened push rods to survive.

My feeling is you assembled them wrong and that's why they are leaning. Guide plates won't stop that problem, only a rotational problem. The reason they are falling off is the nuts aren't lock nuts, they are probably standard nuts.

Did you buy these from an individual or a company?
Old 07-07-2005, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK #7
Just called Comp Cams.... and they said i have a set of Non Self Aligning rockers....

SHOEBOX are the rockers in the pic self-alingining or NON self alinging....?????
The rockers in the picture are self-aligning (same alignment method as the stock ones).
Old 07-07-2005, 09:59 PM

I didnt notice a notch.....and it says they are roller tipped....roller tipped s/a rockers have small washers on either side of the roller tip to make them s/a rockers.

Quick Reply: Wtf!!!!???!! Help Please!!!!