LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Wtf!!!!???!! Help Please!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 10:16 PM
Banned

Re: Wtf!!!!???!! Help Please!!!!

The picture in the link do not represent self aligning rollers.
There are NO skirt's on either side of the roller tip to hold the roller tip on the valve stem.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by 1racerdude
The picture in the link do not represent self aligning rollers.
There are NO skirt's on either side of the roller tip to hold the roller tip on the valve stem.
Stock, slotted rockers with the ball and nut have no skirts, either and they are self-aligning (no guideplates needed). The rockers in the pic mount the same way. What's the difference? These are like just roller tipped stock rockers (as I see it).
Old 07-07-2005, 11:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by shoebox
Stock, slotted rockers with the ball and nut have no skirts, either and they are self-aligning (no guideplates needed). The rockers in the pic mount the same way. What's the difference? These are like just roller tipped stock rockers (as I see it).
The slot's and dimples on the ones in the picture are for oiling purposes to keep from burning up the ball with high spring pressures,like a regular SBC set.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:23 PM

Did you rotate the engine and put the rockers on or did you try and put the rockers on while the engine was running? I used the one cylinder per set of rockers method. I would turn the crank from 12 o clock to 3 oclock to 6 oclock to 9 oclock and then 12 oclock.

You do this twice and adjust according to the directions. The rockers should not fall off unless you are not adjusting them correctly.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:31 PM

The slot's and dimples on the ones in the picture are for oiling purposes to keep from burning up the ball with high spring pressures,like a regular SBC set.
So you agree that they are self-aligning like regular SBC ones, then? ('cause they are just like them, but roller tipped?)
Old 07-07-2005, 11:42 PM
Banned

So you agree that they are self-aligning like regular SBC ones, then? ('cause they are just like them, but roller tipped?)
NO

SBC's are not self aligning,they have either guide plates or slots in the heads for guide plates.
SA rockers on my LT-1 has skirts on either side of the tip where it contacts the valve stem to hold them on the stem.SBC has nothing like that.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:50 PM

NO

SBC's are not self aligning,they have either guide plates or slots in the heads for guide plates.
SA rockers on my LT-1 has skirts on either side of the tip where it contacts the valve stem to hold them on the stem.SBC has nothing like that.
Stock SBC rockers (just like stock LT1 rockers) are self aligning. What am I missing, here? My stock rockers look just like any old SBC rocker for the last 50 years. No guideplates or skirts. They are self-aligning by virtue of the ball and stud arrangement. They don't need skirts to keep them aligned.

Last edited by shoebox; 07-07-2005 at 11:57 PM.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:13 AM

Here are some pics that might convince you that these are in fact NOT self-aligning rockers.

You can tell that the stock stamped steel rockers have sort of a skirt that keeps it from falling off....

opposed to the NON self aligning rockers that do not have any skirt or anything that will
help it stay on.....

Old 07-08-2005, 12:20 AM

heres a pic of a SELF-Aligning roller rocker.... you can clearly see that it has a skirt
on it, that allows it to stay on....

here is the pic of the NON self aligning rocker..... which has NO skirts......

Finally a pic of the stock rocker which has a skirt to keep it on
Old 07-08-2005, 12:25 AM
Banned

Stock SBC rockers (just like stock LT1 rockers) are self aligning. What am I missing, here? My stock rockers look just like any old SBC rocker for the last 50 years. No guideplates or skirts. They are self-aligning by virtue of the ball and stud arrangement. They don't need skirts to keep them aligned.
OK but a conventional 265,283,327,350,400 do NOT have SA rockers. They use guide plates or slot's in the head to hold them in line. The ***** in the picture are for a conventional SBC with oiling slots in them to keep from burning up the ball...

The heads on an LT-1 are wide open in the push rod area thus the need to have SA rockers.
The stud would have to have a flat side or key and so would the ID of the ball and someway to hold the alignment between the ball and rocker and I have not seen such an animal.
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...311htp_frugal/

Scroll down this page and that is what a conventional SBC looks like.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK #7

This pic you posted that I added the arrows to tells the story.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/518431/3

That pretty much tells the story. Now we should all understand your problem. It sounded before like the rocker problem you had was it was tumbling over the side. BUT your problem is rotation because the roller rockers you have are NOT self aligning. You either need guide plates and hardened push rods or new rockers.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:48 AM

I guess if I had gone out and looked at my old stock LT1 rockers, I would not have been arguing the fact that they are not self-aligning. I never paid that much attention to them and assumed they were like the old SBC ones. Glad everyone was willing to clear that up for me. I always like to further my knowledge.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:59 AM

glad to help.... MR. Shoebox.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:27 AM

glad to help.... MR. Shoebox.
Lol, sometimes I need it.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:35 AM

The guy that i bought them from told me that they were Self Aligning.... heres a pic of them..... I dont see where it says that they are or are not..... http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Cu...g/HTML/310.asp
right at the bottom, on the right hand side, it says guide plates required. LOL

Quick Reply: Wtf!!!!???!! Help Please!!!!