LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

XE 224/230 WITH Heads

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 09:13 PM

XE 224/230 WITH Heads

I'm trying to settle a dispute. What's the MOST power out of this combo that anyone's seen, and can they back it up with proof?? I kinda would like to know.

As far as I know, I'm the highest at 375/363. I haven't seen nor heard of higher. Does anyone have any proof of something other?
Old 04-30-2004, 10:01 PM

We know you have said it a dozen times in your posts.Dyno numbers don't mean s@*t. Get some track times.

Rob.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:22 PM

Originally posted by 97WRAITH
We know you have said it a dozen times in your posts.Dyno numbers don't mean s@*t. Get some track times.

Rob.
Ok smarta$$, I can't get track times because I'm getting a new motor and not running this cam. If you read all my posts you would have known that. I will guarantee that it was going to be mean. I'd even venture to say that with my compression problems I would have been moving right by you, but that's not the point of this post.

Again I ask for the comprehension impaired like the above person, how much is being put down with this cam by people?? I want to know for separate reasons, but mainly to shut up some nay sayers about the guy who did my heads.
Old 05-01-2004, 01:29 AM

Well, FWIW I don't put a lot of faith in dyno numbers on the internet. There are too many variables and too many ways to "fudge" the numbers for bragging rights or whatever. There are guys on a certain "vette" forum that are claiming close to 400rwhp out of stock ported LT1's on stock short blocks running a Hotcam kit and bolt-ons. It's amazing how those vettes gain a miraculous 40rwhp over a typical Hotcam car huh.

Sorry, didn't really answer your question did I.

Mike
Old 05-01-2004, 02:34 AM

no current dyno, track times in sig....
Old 05-01-2004, 07:18 AM

Another question would be: Who cares about bragging over peak dyno numbers anyway? What's the point here?
Old 05-01-2004, 07:22 AM

Those numbers you've got are very good for the 503 and heads. I haven't seen anything higher, but if there is, I doubt it's significantly so.

Good numbers
Old 05-01-2004, 08:53 AM

Originally posted by Don 97 SS
Another question would be: Who cares about bragging over peak dyno numbers anyway? What's the point here?
The point is that I'm trying to back up the guy who did my cylinder heads. He's getting slammed on another board and I'm trying to show some support, and the guys over there are trying to tell me his stuff is junk when in reality it's not.

No worries guys, I was just hoping to throw some numbers at those guys. I totally agree, track numbers would have been MUCH better to throw out than dyno numbers, but you have to work with what you have got. I unfortunately never got to run the car at the track because of the compression problem, and wasn't about to run it broke like it was.
Old 05-01-2004, 09:51 AM

In my opinion, dyno numbers are MUCH more comparable than track numbers.

The variables that go into 1/4 miles times are huge. Weather, driver, track prep, suspension, vehicle weight, tires...

At least on a dyno, especially if SAE corrected, the variables are kept to a minimum.

Now, who's the better driver, and can get the best time out of a particular car is another story.

BTW, I haven't seen dyno numbers higher than what you were seeing with your setup Fastbird.

Dan
Old 05-01-2004, 10:29 AM

From exp with a corvette,the vette's normally make a little more hp(10 to 20) because the header designs are better.

I know guy with a 224-230 on 110 w/afr 195's that rwhp'd 395/376 in a 358.His 1/4 times are close to the average w/ a 12.16.
Old 05-01-2004, 10:54 AM

when mine had that cam it made 369rwhp @ like 6100rpm. 355, eagle rods/keith black flattops, afr190's, LT's, all the bolt-ons. that was thru an A4. torque was like 350ftlbs (ill have to find my dynosheet, it was like 2 years ago), torque was kinda low to me...
Old 05-01-2004, 11:02 AM

This is the kind of into I'm looking for. Solid numbers. Thanks guys!
Old 05-01-2004, 06:22 PM

You shouldn't get all upset. Intill you have track times don't say how you would have been moving right by me. I have done my own head work and cam install. Actually no one has done anywork on my car except myself. with my times I estimate my hp leave pretty dam close to what you have. I just seems that you brag alittle to much for my taste about your numbers.I was one of the guys to congratulate you but now it's getting to your head.BTW I have alot of tuning to do with my car and suspension work so look forward to alot better times. Dyno numbers are cool but what your car runs at the track is what is the difference is in how wins or looses a race. GMO

Rob.
Old 05-01-2004, 06:41 PM

I seem to recall a guy a few years ago on this board who must have been one of the first running the 224/230. Can't remember his user name, but from memory I think he put down very similar #'s (365/375?) with GTP heads through mac's. Perhaps he'll chime in. Htink he ended up building a stroker.
Old 05-01-2004, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by 97WRAITH
You shouldn't get all upset. Intill you have track times don't say how you would have been moving right by me. I have done my own head work and cam install. Actually no one has done anywork on my car except myself. with my times I estimate my hp leave pretty dam close to what you have. I just seems that you brag alittle to much for my taste about your numbers.I was one of the guys to congratulate you but now it's getting to your head.BTW I have alot of tuning to do with my car and suspension work so look forward to alot better times. Dyno numbers are cool but what your car runs at the track is what is the difference is in how wins or looses a race. GMO

Rob.
I completely agree that track numbers are the tell all, but like Stereomandan said, there's so many variables to factor in. I apologize about the statement I made to you, I was having a frustrating day and just wasn't watching myself. Sorry about that, hopefully I didn't offend you. I will say that it's very admirable/impressive that you're the only one that's worked on your car.

I really do wish I could have run the car at the track. I wholly expected a low 12 at about 113-115 in street trim, but that's just speculation. In all honesty if I wasn't getting a custom cam for the new motor the 224/230 would be going back in.

My whole intent of this post was to come up with some verified numbers to show to a couple of guys who were saying that the guy who did my heads doesn't know his stuff. All I was trying to prove to them was that his heads do indeed perform. No biggie now, because it's been dropped.

Quick Reply: XE 224/230 WITH Heads