LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

xe224/230 or cc306

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 01:03 AM

Talk about two different cams Cam selection depends on your current mods, future plans, usage, etc. I prefer the XE cams but if you're looking for something more the size of the CC306 you'll want to a bit bigger than the XE 224/230, the 230/236 works well with decent ported heads and a six speed on a 350. What lift, lsa, etc. again depends on your wants and needs.

The Crane spring kit for the LT1 has its problems. The biggest problem being the so-called "seats" they want you to use. The kit comes with hardened steel shims that do not locate the valvesprings on the head worth a damn. There are some workarounds but I was never impressed with the Cranes. Valvesprings need to be matched accordingly to the cam. If you are looking for something on par with the Crane springs though I'd look very seriously at the CMotorsports spring kit. Cheaper, lighter, and fit much better for similar specs.
Old 06-13-2003, 07:11 AM
Banned

Originally posted by D James
saint69 what timing chain are you running, I see your reving pretty high, wondering if you got the extreme and if it holds the abuse like people say? On another note I felt a difference in my low end torque with the bigger cam, it just seems like the powers not there low than all of a sudden it just comes on full force, at a fairly high RPM range. Who ever mentioned the dyno graph for Kmooks car is smart, thats a good way of seeing what your getting into, power starting up at 4 grand doesn't sound appealing to me, others its fine, I Know Saint69 has said he like the top end power for accelerating from a get go instead of a dead stop. As far as smell goes, I just put fresh cats on my duals and there was a huge smell increase standing next to my car, I didn't notice any difference inside, and my cam is a blower cam so not much overlap and thus not such bad fumes as the cc306. I will say some people love the heavy exhaust smell. I use to drive with a 3400 rpm torque converter in my daily driver, it sucked at part throttle, but sure worked well, maye because I was at full throttle more often than not, other people can't bare anything higher than 2400 RPM so you might love the cc306 or hate it, I would really suggest checking into previous posts as much as possible and anywher else you can find info on the different cams cause its a lot of work and money to just jump into. If you have decided you might want to try this deal which ends this Friday, its a great deal, they can help you on what will be best. http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...hreadid=129985 Have you any goals in mind on what you will ultimately will want--heads/cam nitrous/supercharger?
hey i'm in livonia too
Old 06-13-2003, 07:49 AM

Originally posted by Grover
I like the 306, but my car isn't a daily driver. If I had some good heads on the car it would be a beast (89 mph in the 1/8 mile). The gas mileage is great just as long as you have a good tune. I am getting 23-24 mpg on the highway cruising at 75 with the 4.10 gears. The idle sounds very good, but it does smell. But then it depends on what you want out of the car.
89MPH with a 306.....my little bitty HOT cam is pulling 89/90MPH in the heat....and there is ALOT more in the car!!!!
I have not seen a good running 306 in a 350ish size engine....

I vote for a XE grind...
Old 06-13-2003, 08:26 AM

I will let you guys know how a CC306 is in an A4 here in a week or so. Even better is I am running stock converter and 2.73 gears. I will settle the debate to whether or not it is driveable. I am getting a tune so that will help. If it is driveable with my current setup, I dont see how it wouldnt be with someone with gears and stall.
Old 06-13-2003, 08:38 AM

Originally posted by 95_RipperZ
I will let you guys know how a CC306 is in an A4 here in a week or so. Even better is I am running stock converter and 2.73 gears.
That is going to be a bitch to drive, no gearing and no TC...it is going to need a really high idle or it is going to die when trying to stop. Have fun!!!
Old 06-13-2003, 08:42 AM

Originally posted by Shon Herron
89MPH with a 306.....my little bitty HOT cam is pulling 89/90MPH in the heat....and there is ALOT more in the car!!!!

I vote for a XE grind...
damn dude that sucks...i am pullin 90 with just a cam, on stock lt1 heads, with no electric water pump and othe stupid crap.
Old 06-13-2003, 08:49 AM

That is going to be a bitch to drive, no gearing and no TC...it is going to need a really high idle or it is going to die when trying to stop. Have fun!!!
Stall is coming next month and the car is only a weekend driver so it wont be too bad. I doubt it will die every time I make a stop.
Old 06-13-2003, 08:59 AM

Originally posted by xxsaint69x
damn dude that sucks...i am pullin 90 with just a cam, on stock lt1 heads, with no electric water pump and othe stupid crap.
We are gonna have to have a grudge match at SDR when GAFBA has their deal (sucks having to drive 4hrs to run at that crappy track)...i know my little HOT cam will ET better than the 306.
AND run what you brung, if you want to show up with just stock heads and the 306 then that is fine, I will bring my little HOT cam down and see what happens. And no other BS, you strip your car down the way you want it and I will do the same.....

Then if you want to spray the 2 cars, let me know, we both can use the same bag kit and run 'em....

How close are you to Carolina Dragway? There is NO traction problem at that track, well worth the drive!!!!
Old 06-13-2003, 09:11 AM

Shon,

What are your mods? Times? A4 or M6?
Old 06-13-2003, 09:11 AM

I vote for a XE grind...
My even ittier-bittier stock cam ran 89.4 in the 1/8th. hehehe.
Old 06-13-2003, 09:22 AM

Originally posted by 95_RipperZ
Shon,

What are your mods? Times? A4 or M6?
I should have posted my sig....
www.gafba.com under members, look up my name, very detailed list....

Times: Old set up with A4 and ST3500 it ran 12.3s at 109 with 7.8/87. New set up is still in progress but has run 7.8s@89-90, there is alot more in it, just got to get the bugs worked out...but even with bugs....LOW 12s should not be a problem.
Old 06-13-2003, 10:07 AM

We are gonna have to have a grudge match at SDR when GAFBA has their deal (sucks having to drive 4hrs to run at that crappy track)...i know my little HOT cam will ET better than the 306.
AND run what you brung, if you want to show up with just stock heads and the 306 then that is fine, I will bring my little HOT cam down and see what happens. And no other BS, you strip your car down the way you want it and I will do the same.....

Then if you want to spray the 2 cars, let me know, we both can use the same bag kit and run 'em....

How close are you to Carolina Dragway? There is NO traction problem at that track, well worth the drive!!!!
only if i had the money to buy a 12 bolt , i am not goin to track to run my car till i have enough money to buy a 12 bolt. Now if u want to run them on the highway form a 1st gear roll i am all game
Old 06-13-2003, 10:17 AM

Originally posted by xxsaint69x
only if i had the money to buy a 12 bolt , i am not goin to track to run my car till i have enough money to buy a 12 bolt. Now if u want to run them on the highway form a 1st gear roll i am all game
IF....

Be S.M.A.R.T.; take it to the track. No need to prove anything on the street. I know it is a personal opinion so we can leave it at that but you will not see me running them on the street.
Old 06-13-2003, 10:40 AM

Lo
IF....

Be S.M.A.R.T.; take it to the track. No need to prove anything on the street. I know it is a personal opinion so we can leave it at that but you will not see me running them on the street.
totally understand Ill be at the fall GAFBA shootout, so maybe we can run them then.
Marcin
Old 06-13-2003, 11:19 AM

Why not go to the track, get to about the 330' mark and then punch them? Solves both worlds.

Quick Reply: xe224/230 or cc306