LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Z28 wont start after plugs and wire change.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 04:56 PM

Z28 wont start after plugs and wire change.

Hi everyone. Just finished installing plugs and wires on my 1995 LT1 Camaro. After putting everything together, The car wont start. It rotates but wont fire. We pulled off one of the plug wires and checked for spark. The whole time (about 5 minutes) we got no spark except for once, where it fired and almost started.
1) Looking back, I KNOW I didn't plug that rubber hose that runs from the AIR pump( i think) to the intake by the air filter. But I don't think that would cause it not too start?( car is currently at my uncles)
2)The plugs were all gapped at about 0.58 instead of the 0.50 the manual stated...?
3) if I accidentally crisscrossed the wires, would that cause a no start?

So if anyone has any suggestions on what to look for or try please let me know. I'm hoping I didn't spill coolant on the distributor when I took the waterpump off.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Re: Z28 wont start after plugs and wire change.

Hopefully the plugs were gapped to 0.058 and not 0.58". Excessive gap, but should still fire.

Yes, crossed wires can prevent it from starting, but you indicate there is no spark at the plug wire. How about at the coil wire? A corroded terminal in the Opti for the coil wire could cause it not to make contact.

Leaving off the rubber hose from the air intake duct to the AIR pump simply means you are pulling dirty, unfiltered air into the engine. But that won't prevent it from starting.

Are you sure you didn't forget to connect some of the other devices like the MAF sensor, IC module or any other thing you may have disconnected to change the plugs and wire.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:35 PM

Im 99% positive I plugged everything in. I did spill coolant when removing opti so I am guessing that is what the problem is. Im going to double check the wires are routed correctly first though. It is the original Opti with 155k miles on it so maybe it was time anyway, Just sucks I have to pull everything back off again to get to it...And yes I meant 0.058 The coil wire is new and on there tight so looks like I will be changing distibutor. I found a nice one on ebay for $90 shipped from chandlermotorsports or something. I will probably take a chance on that.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:14 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by DomsZ28
Im 99% positive I plugged everything in. I did spill coolant when removing opti so I am guessing that is what the problem is. .
Why did you remove the Opti? When you put it back on, did you make sure to index the cam dowel pin correctly?

Have you scanned if for codes? A problem with the optical cam position sensor in the Opti can prevent the engine from starting, and will set a code that does not turn on the SES light. Could be as simple as a corroded or damaged Opti harness connector.

Anything other than an OEM Delco/Delphi unit is a crap shoot. The Chandler unit is not very good.