N2O Tech Discussion for the use of Nitrous Oxide

Has anybody ever done this, and if no, why?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 10:05 AM

Has anybody ever done this, and if no, why?

I was thinking of mounting my n20 nozzle in one of the egr block-off plates on the back of my intake. I would do this because I want the nitrous to be hidden and I don't think it would ever be seen back there. I know it would be unconventional to spray from the back of the motor instead of the front, but if the air/nitrous is only being taken into one cylinder at a time anyway, I don't see how it would hurt anything. I would only be spraying at wot so it wouldn't be regulated by the throttlebody either way. I am running a wet kit so there is no need for the computer to see the nitrous as I am supplying the needed fuel with a solenoid.

Any comments?
Old 01-13-2006, 10:13 AM

Re: Has anybody ever done this, and if no, why?

My concern would be that the force of the air coming in the intake would hold the nitrous back in the intake and force it to be distributed to the back two cylinders only.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:19 AM

It wouldn't hold it to the back two only, egr was there for a reason and it worked didn't it?

My concern would be not getting an even spray to every cylinder, you might get more to the back ones then the front, or get some in some cylinders sometimes and not in others.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:33 AM

Agreed as far as poor distribution.

Not sure that I would compare EGR to a Nitrous setup as EGR is not operational in a WOT situation (I believe stock setup was between 900 and 2100 RPM) and doesn't actually see the increased air pressure and volume that an Nitrous setup will see running in the same location.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:34 AM

I would also worry about the distribution between the cylinders. I dont think that the force of the nozzle would come anywhere near to overcoming the air rushing in so your distribution would be heavily biased to the rear cylinders. I may be wrong but thats my $0.02

But I gotta say, I like the "out of the box" thinking. KEEP IT UP
Old 01-13-2006, 10:38 AM

No, I think you are right. I wasn't even thinking about air pressure forcing the cloud back. It definately wouldn't work if I ever went f/i and clearly is questionable n/a. I guess I'll just have to snake the lines through my CAI like in the past, or just put it out there for the whole world to see. I have a 20 lb. bottle in the spare tire well so it's not like it's goint to take a rocket scientist to find it anyway.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Do you realize the EGR passages do not go directly into the intake plenum? They are ported through a passage at the bottom of the manifold. That would not work at all for a wet system.

20# bottle.... why?

PLEASE post on the correct forum... we have an N2O Tech forum..... I'll move it there.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:44 PM

The 20lb bottle was free and my only other free option was a 5 lb bottle. I opted for the bigger one. I liked this option better than actually paying for a 10lb. Sorry for the location error, just wanted this looked at by LT1 folks.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:00 PM

Actually, to clarify a few things here, it *will* work as the EGR passages are not shared with the IAC passages (those passages run underneath the intake and are gotten to by removing the big-*** plugs under the intake), as the EGR passages go through a shared passage inside the middle of the intake manifold that opens up to 2 holes right below the throttlebody opening at the front of the intake manifold...

So, if you spray in the back, at the proper egr opening, it will route to right below the openings in the front of the intake.

Now the key would be to use a big enough shot, and especially in regards to a wet kit... The concern comes down to running a wet kit, as the extra fuel left over would be pooled inside that passage, which I don't believe could cause much of a problem, but I don't think it is a good idea non-the-less...

So in review, I would say the best bet would be to use that passage for a dry shot, which should be 100% safe, and be more than adequate to support any size shot needed DRY as long as it is over say a 150 shot...

Would make for one hell of a stealth setup tho...

And I am sure I just pissed off a bunch of guys that liked to keep that little one 'secret'... Too bad...
Old 01-13-2006, 06:01 PM
Banned

What WOULD work is to use the back of the manifold as an entry point to insert a manifold length spray bar.

Of course, you'd have to find someone to make you a custom length spray bar, but I doubt that's an insurmountable obstacle.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:04 PM

And maybe I am just being a little too paranoid in regards to running a wet shot like this...

I would love to hear of someone giving this a shot... Would be pretty easy to drill and tap an EGR blockoff plate... Just make sure you orient the nozzle in the proper direction (I believe you need to point it towards the passenger side of the car) and the nozzle shoudl sit in there just about perfectly centered in the opening... Again, just make sure you run like a 150shot or more and you should be just fine...
Old 01-13-2006, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by LameRandomName
What WOULD work is to use the back of the manifold as an entry point to insert a manifold length spray bar.

Of course, you'd have to find someone to make you a custom length spray bar, but I doubt that's an insurmountable obstacle.
Ive always wanted to build one of these, anybody have a picture?? I started to make on for my supra as it had a horrble log style intake. Buy unfortunatley a rod bearing halted the endeavor. You can buy the small brass tube at most hobby shops for about .30 a foot
Old 01-14-2006, 09:47 PM

why dont you just tap the nozzel underneath the intake elbow or tube. it will be nearly impossible for someone to see unless they get underneath your car or really inspect it carefully.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 95 TA The Beast
And maybe I am just being a little too paranoid in regards to running a wet shot like this...

I would love to hear of someone giving this a shot... Would be pretty easy to drill and tap an EGR blockoff plate... Just make sure you orient the nozzle in the proper direction (I believe you need to point it towards the passenger side of the car) and the nozzle shoudl sit in there just about perfectly centered in the opening... Again, just make sure you run like a 150shot or more and you should be just fine...
One more time.... the EGR valve passage does not go directly into the intake plenum. It goes to passages on the bottom of the intake. It isn't going to make much difference where you point the nozzle, or if its centered, because whatever you spray in that opening will simply follow the passage under the manfold. The fuel that was so finely atomized by the high pressure nitrous in the nozzle is now agglomerating and puddling in the passage, blobs of liquid are bubbling up from the holes in the plenum and the fuel distribution will be terrible.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
One more time.... the EGR valve passage does not go directly into the intake plenum. It goes to passages on the bottom of the intake. It isn't going to make much difference where you point the nozzle, or if its centered, because whatever you spray in that opening will simply follow the passage under the manfold. The fuel that was so finely atomized by the high pressure nitrous in the nozzle is now agglomerating and puddling in the passage, blobs of liquid are bubbling up from the holes in the plenum and the fuel distribution will be terrible.
Ok, so that is with the wet shot, and again, that was my concern as well...

But that doesn't mean a nice sized dry shot wouldn't work out great...