New Member Introduction Along with the new Camaro, there will be plenty of new members. Introduce yourself!

96 camaro z28 Lt1 cranks no spark no start

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2023, 01:09 PM

96 camaro z28 Lt1 cranks no spark no start

Hello I am having an issue with my car It's a 96 camaro with 50k miles no modifications at all bone stock. It had been sitting covered up for about 6 years. When I first tried to start it up I ended up replacing the fuel pump. After that it kept throwing codes for little stuff mostly sensors and tune up things. Everything I have replaced is OEM. Ignition coil and module. Optispark, plugs wires, pcv valve, brakes, thermostat and both sensors. Air filter, vacuum hose, fuel filter, oil and filter. I'm sure I'm leaving something other small stuff out. Mass air flow sensor and pigtails to Ignition control module as well as to the mass air flow sensor and Ignition coil those are new. The car was running good until that Optispark went out so I ended up replacing it with a autozone one that seem to make it run rough. Took that off replaced it with a Delphi that i found by luck. During that time before the Delphi I noticed the car had a slight rough idle as I thought it was the aftermarket Optispark from autozone. I put the other opti on and it ran rough still intact even worse as it should not. I haven't even drove it barely at all since I've done all this stuff. So then it dawned on me that the autozone Optispark wasn't the issue something else is. The car acted like as if it wasn't getting any gas and was throwing codes again like in reverse of everything I did. It threw the mass air flow sensor that was new replaced that again OEM and it threw the ignition coil I replaced that again OEM. Then the last code was the p01351. So then I went had the module tested its fine. The car finally cut off and will crank good but no start no spark. I checked all the wiring and measures grounds, continuity and power of everything that has been shown in the forum shoebox. I have no idea what it is can anyone help or have any clue? Is it the PCM? That's the last thing I can think of beings it was throwing code after code again in reverse. No one here really works or wants to work on the Lt1s and people who have" mechanics" are stumped. With 50k miles I understand that it was sitting for a long time but it can't be anything that crazy. Oh and the optispark harness is good the signal and power as well as the spark plug spark it's getting no spark I tested that out.
Old 09-16-2023, 10:13 PM
Administrator

Re: 96 camaro z28 Lt1 cranks no spark no start

Long, run-on paragraph. Unfortunately that makes it hard to follow, and you lose half the readers half-way through. With your permission, I’ll break it up into smaller paragraphs.

In the meantime, have you considered the possibility P1351 could be an issue with the white wire from the PCM to the ICM? A way to check - scroll down to “ICM Harness”:

4th Gen LT1 F-body Tech Articles

And a question - when the starter is cranking the engine, does the tach needle move up a (roughly) couple hundred RPM?