New Member Introduction Along with the new Camaro, there will be plenty of new members. Introduce yourself!

Help: Buying 99 Camaro Z28 SS edition

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 11:08 PM

Question Help: Buying 99 Camaro Z28 SS edition

Hey everyone. I have an opportunity to buy a 1999 Camaro Z28 SS edition with roughly 90k miles for about 6k. It's white w/ the lip kit and in great condition. T-top w/ 6speed manual. No accidents. It's always been garaged.

I've never owned a muscle car so I don't really know where to start. My long term goal is to get the car in to the 11's, maybe 10's in the 1/4 mile. I've been reading a lot on this forum and on LS1 motors in general.

My questions:

- What should I be looking at before I buy this car? I'm knowledgeable with cars and tuning but not with the camaro in specific. Are there certain problems they usually have or certain spots that generally rust?

- As described for 6000 to 6500ish is this a good deal?

- If I purchase this car what are the first mods you guys generally do for power? I believe it already has aftermarket intake/headers/exhaust.

Before I do any performance mods I want to do all of the maintenance, like all the fluids, filters, wires, plugs, belts, brakes.. is there anything else I should be looking at for maintenance with these cars?

Any input is appreciated, thanks!

Also, with intake/header/exhaust and some sticky summer tires what do you guys run in the 1/4 mile on a decently cool day in the new England area?
Old 05-18-2012, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Re: Help: Buying 99 Camaro Z28 SS edition

Welcome to the site.

You mentioned most of the major things to do when looking at a car that is over ten years old. Check the wiring harness for any signs of age related issues as well. I replaced mine after about 12 years due to some of the wires becoming brittle. Only other issues I have had (not of my own making) have been power windows and window switches.

As far as performance, New England Dragway is a very good facility. If you go on street night get there early before the imports tear up the starting line. Points days are best for traction but rules are two time trials (unless shortened by weather) and then eliminations. However it is generally a more mature crowd on points days and many of the competitors will be very helpful to someone new. I am guessing you would run 13.2-13.4 with decent traction and average air, providing you hook up and your shifting is reasonably efficient. Elapsed time has a lot to do with shifting ability.