Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

best wax? and clay bar

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 10:14 AM

Question best wax? and clay bar

what is the best wax to use on a black car?right now i have been using the new ice wax but...eh...it seems ok but im sure there is something better, also i want to clay bar my car but i dont really know how and the whole process and all that, will it get minor scratches and swirls out? suggestions? thanks
Old 08-17-2006, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

Re: best wax? and clay bar

Use polish, not wax. Most of us around here like Zaino.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:28 PM

zaino is nice, but is time consuming. Any wax looks good on a black car, but i've been having trouble finding one that lasts more than one wash. The paste cleane waxes are great for longevity if you don't wax much. if you do, i'd use NXT meguiars or step up to zaino or Griot's new polish. griots clay bar is the best on the market. griotgarage.com and get their claybar. definately the smoothest clay bar i've ever used. i've got their wax on now, we'll see how long it lasts.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:07 PM

Where do people get the idea Zaino is time consuming? It goes on easy, and comes off easy. It's no different than any other in that manner. Zaino lasts for months, rather than weeks.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by blackztpi
zaino is time consuming...i've been having trouble finding one that lasts more than one wash...griots clay bar is the best on the market.
Zaino shouldn't take longer than any other product out there. Prep work needs to be done no matter what you use.

If you need durability Zaino, Werkstatt, Collinite, etc. are the products to use.

Griot's clay is no different than many other brands. There are only a couple of clay manufacturers out there.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:32 PM

There are alot of waxes, so your best bet is to visit some of the detailing boards and get an idea of a wax brand that you may want to try. Meguiars and Mother's are well known brands, so either one of those products should give you great results.

Very important thing to remember is to do your own investigating. Do not believe in heresay, because it can mislead you into thinking that one product is good or better than another product. Your own observation will reveal which product works best for you.

Prep (clay if needed, paint cleaning and polishing) is a vital step, however, regardless of whether you use a wax or a sealant. Meguiars also sells a very wide assortment of polishing and cleaning products, so you should have a lot to choose from.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:37 PM

i have had decent luck with menzerna's one step acrylic jacket
Old 08-22-2006, 04:13 PM

I use Zaino, but I tried dozens of products for over 30 years before sticking with Zaino. If I could find something better I'd use it.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:43 PM

i was actually going to get some zaino but when i called them up they did not recommend it to me. they said zaino is fantastic for a show room car. they said on a daily driver with a few scuffs or chips then the car will actually look worse after you wax it. they said any imprefection will be highlighted after using zaino.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:23 AM

Used NXT for a two whole months and loved that stuff. Now i cant find it anywhere and resorted to nano waxes but very very difficult to buff out. But i have to say it is worth it when you use combos like nano wax and speed detailers. Get a mirror shine i must say on a black Z28.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by cals400ex
i was actually going to get some zaino but when i called them up they did not recommend it to me. they said zaino is fantastic for a show room car. they said on a daily driver with a few scuffs or chips then the car will actually look worse after you wax it. they said any imprefection will be highlighted after using zaino.
Whether using Zaino or anything else, surface prep is critical to acheiving the optimum results. Nothing actually hides chips and scratches. Because Zaino has since a beautuiful shine, imperfections are more noticeable.