Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

bodywork

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 07:58 PM

bodywork

i decided to get my car painted over spring break, and am going to do all the bodywork myself. i was wondering if any of you can give me tips and hints on this project. i own a 94 z28 that, as far as body damage is in great shape except for the front bumper cover and hood. i have a few questions to ask that i hope someone can help me with.
1. what is the best way to take the paint off of the front bumper cover
2. after taking off the paint, do i need to prime it? and with what type of primer
3. do i need to prime over the whole body (i'm just roughing the paint up a bit to get i painted)
4. does anyone know what this color is on the new model camaros(98+) i think it's navy blue, but from far away it looks black and you can see the blue when you get closer. and unless the sun is in the right spot you can't really tell it's blue.

thanks for your help.
Old 03-09-2003, 11:17 PM

ok use a prep all before any sanding on the car
do not use a chemical stripper
is the paint good on the car (not flaking)
if it is just d/a the car with a light grit paper or scuff it real good
tape your trim or remove it so you dont scratch it
clean car and keep it clean no silicon especially
if you do prime yourself which i dont recommend unless you knwo what your doing do the whole car allot better and paint adhears better i would use a urethane primer that also works as a sealer in the first coat