Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

Tall order for the big guns here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2002, 11:42 AM

Question Tall order for the big guns here.

This is mainly directed to KevinSS, MikeLS, and The other "KevinSS" .

For the benefit of myself and I'm sure a few others that could probably use them, could you list in order and by product, very intricate/detailed instructions on how a typical carwash and detailing process would go for you? Please?

Me for example would go something like this..

1. Park car in shade, allow to sit for few minutes to cool down surface temp.

2. Initial rinse with nozzle on hose using hard pressure to get some of the dirt/dust loosened...

3. Wash wheels & tires with Z7 soap and light brush, rinse. Now the soap used here was mixed with water in a spray bottle for easy application.

4. Re-rinse car.

5. Begin to wash car, using Zaino Z7 in a bucket, and regular water in a 2nd bucket.

6. Start at the top and rinse (W/ nozzle). Windows, then rinse (Nozzle). Hood and tail, rinse (nozzle). Driver side, rinse. Passenger side, rinse. NOTE: after each wash section, dip mit in clean water bucket, not soap bucket, and when using mitt, always with light pressure and Non-circular motion.

7. Final Rinse, without nozzle, to create sheeting affect.

8. Dry car with Leaf-blower. And California Water Blade on windows Only.

9. Apply Z6, using FieldCrest RV.

10. Apply Z5 or Z2 using Sal's apps and some Z6 to help, using Non-circular motion. Allow to dry and buff off with another RV, using Non-circular motions.

11. Re-apply Z6, (step 9)

That's the basics of what I'm requesting.

Thanks,

Jeff

------------------
1996 Black Z28 M6; Stock.
1994 S10 4X4.

My Zed
Old 05-17-2002, 02:28 PM

Smile

OK, I guess I'll start.

For a typical wash and Zaino session, my tools/techniques look something like this: Most of this goes pretty fast, takes me about an hour total to completely wash and dry the car. It may look like it takes me forever, but I'm gonna be detailed in my procedures.

1. The Pre-Wash - Back my car out of the garage, try to wash in the shade or early morning/late afternoon when sun isn't as hot. I like to start with the wheels. I use a soft wheel brush and cleaner (like Simple Green or similar solution and Z7) to thoroughly clean the tires and rims. Immediately rinse after cleaning to prevent any cleaner from drying onto the surface. I use an old toothbrush to clean the inside of the rim with some strong wheel cleaner (Meguiar's Gold Class, too harsh to use on the outside of the rim, but works wonderfully on the inside). After all wheels are thoroughly cleaned, I give the paint a medium/heavy rinse to remove loose dust and dirt before washing. Do not use a heavy forceful spray directly onto the paint or you could push dirt into the surface causing scratches. Then, I grab my white 5 gallon wash bucket and fill it with one or two capfuls of Z7 and begin spraying in water to add plenty of suds. I take my Viking mitt and give it a good rinsing with the sprayer to remove any loose debris or dust that may have collected, then drop the mitt into the soapy bucket. If the car is extra dirty, use another bucket filled with plain water to rinse the mitt after washing each panel.

2. The Wash - Always start from the top and work down. So, I start with the roof and windows, then the hood and nose, side panels etc... To avoid or minimize swirls and marring, wash with a back forth or up down motion, never circular. After each individual panel is cleaned, I give a good rinse and move on until the whole car is done. I rinse my mitt after each panel or whenever it becomes soiled. After the whole car is washed, I'll usually give it another complete final rinse just for good measure. I then immediately move the car into the garage to avoid spotting or blowing dust from outside.

3. Drying - I use the Calif Water Blade and Absorber mainly for drying. Sometimes I'll do the hose trick before bringing the car in, because it does help minimize standing water and possible water spotting. I wet the Blade and Absorber completely to remove any possible contamination then dry the car until every last water drop is gone that I can see.

4. The good stuff -ZAINO- I grab my bottle of Z2 or Z5, whatever I want to use, and ZFX and begin the simple mixing process. While the ZFX polish is setting, I prepare my applicators and towels, shaking, brushing, and inspecting them just in case any debris may have settled. I also go over the car with a quick Z6 just before polishing. As you probably know, I use the Viking foam apps for Zainoing. Then, I'm ready to apply the polish like normal using front/back and up/down strokes. While the polish is drying, I detail the glass and interior surfaces with my products of choice. After letting the ZFX sit for 30 minutes or so, I remove with my Noble Choice and do another Z6 with the POLO hand towel. I buff very gently with almost no pressure and the Z comes right off. Repeat the process for 2 more coats if I like and I'm done!

5. Stand back and enjoy, or cruise around so everyone can admire my handywork!

6. For touchups, I use a Calif Car Duster if there is loose dust or dirt on the finish. I NEVER use Z6 or any other QD to remove dust or dirt, just too easy to cause scratches or swirls. If the CCD can't remove it, it gets washed!

This is my typical day of washing and Zainoing, Memphis style...

------------------
*Mike's 1992 Camaro RS 25th Anniv.*
Dark Red Metallic (ext.) / Flame Red (int.)
Flowmaster Crossflow, K&N, 20% 3M Panther Black Tint
JL Audio 3 10", PPI PC2100, Kenwood eXcelon KRC-953H/U, Kenwood / Pioneer speakers
Shine by ZAINO! - Special Thanks to Sal Z!

[This message has been edited by MikeLS (edited May 17, 2002).]
Old 05-17-2002, 02:47 PM

Smile

Mike, I can say that you have probably been the most informative member I've ever talked to on here. And for that, I thank you.

I have just a few more questions that I just thought of.

1(a.) Do you ever machine wash your Viking Mitt?
(b.) And how long do your mitts usually last before they're too dirty to continue using?

2. Has using the California Water Blade or Absorber ever caused you scratches OR Swirls/Spiderwebbing?

3. Noble and Polo towels ARE better than Fieldcrest?

4. Viking foam applicators safer than Sal's?

5. Thanks again, Mike. (Not a question. )

Jeff

------------------
1994 S10 4X4.

My Zed

[This message has been edited by Captain Jeff Z28 (edited May 17, 2002).]
Old 05-17-2002, 04:59 PM

Smile

No problem!

1. (a.) Nope, I never machine wash the Viking mitt. I do always hand wash and ring it clean after each wash with some clean water and Z7 suds, then do a high pressure rinse to dislodge any remaining particulates. This also ensures that the mitt is clean when it's ready to be used the next time.
(b.) I usually get about a year out of 1 mitt, I suspect because I keep it very clean before and after use, and don't subject it to any harsh use.

2. No, both the Blade and Absorber are great products IMO. As with any product, if they are used improperly they can do damage. But, as long as they are both clean when using and the paint surface is clean as well, there is no threat of spiders or scratches IMHO. Personally, I've never noticed any spidering or scratching from using either, otherwise they'd be in the trash, or collecting dust on a shelf. YMMV...

3. I'm really liking these new towels! They are very soft, plush, and seem to cause absolutely no marring when buffing. The only downside I've found to the Noble Choice is that they seem to load up quicker than the Royal Velvets. No biggie I suppose as all I have to do is keep turning the towel frequently. With a bath size towel, there is a LOT of surface area to work with, so not a big problem. By comparison, the RVs seem to absorb a little more polish per swipe. But, I'm willing to turn the towel more often as a trade off to having less or no surface marring. So far, so good! If either or both turn out to suck, I'll let every one know...

4. Well, it's not so much that the Viking foams are safer, but faster and more efficient at spreading polish. As far as safer, I'd say Sal's apps are tops, as they can absorb any possible surface dust or contaminants that may have settled while polishing. But, I like the Vikings a lot with Zaino. However, if you're afraid that you may pick up some dirt or grit while polishing stick with Sal's terry apps. I mainly use the foam because it seems to save more Zaino than the terry and spreads a very thin, even layer.

5. No problem! Glad I can help! Hopefully, you and others can benefit.

I honestly don't think any of my tools or techniques are far from ordinary, it's just what works well for me. As always, YMMV...

Mike

------------------
JL Audio 3 10", PPI PC2100, Kenwood eXcelon KRC-953H/U, Kenwood / Pioneer speakers

[This message has been edited by MikeLS (edited May 17, 2002).]
Old 05-17-2002, 06:28 PM

I think Mike just types better than the rest of us, and of course there is that cut and paste thing. I need to start copying some of the info and comments to make it easier. If I typed as much as Mike did it would take me all day. And Mike, don't think we don't all appreciate all the help you have been giving, THANKS!!!

I'm Kevin V, the other KevinSS, I guess, or Kevin V, with an SS.

No Carl, we are not the same person, you've seen the pic!!!!

------------------
Kevin Villier, 2002 SS #186 - 6M with Hurst and "short-stick", TT, navy blue, chrome SS wheels, Bilstein suspension, SS grill, STB, SLP loudmouth, Direct-Flo lid with Holley filter and Mallory polished MAF ends.

Louisville, KY

[This message has been edited by Kevin V 2002 SS (edited May 17, 2002).]
Old 05-17-2002, 08:05 PM

Thumbs up

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kevin V 2002 SS:
And Mike, don't think we don't all appreciate all the help you have been giving, THANKS!!!

</font>
Thanks Kevin V and Jeff for the support, sometimes I wonder myself if I spend too much time here and if I'm actually being helpful to anyone... I try anyway...

------------------
Old 05-17-2002, 10:42 PM

I've been trying to help answer questions on several boards for about 4 years and the number of posts and fortunately the number of experienced individuals who jump in really help ALOT. For a long time it was KevinSS, then I started helping and now we have several, both synthetic users and carnuaba users. There are always going to be the newbies to the boards that will ask alot of the same questions we have heard for years but they haven't, so it is a GREAT help when more and more folks are willing to help everyone out. No one has the time to be on ALL the boards all the time.

So from myself and I'm sure many, many others, THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!!!!

------------------
Kevin Villier, 2002 SS #186 - 6M with Hurst and "short-stick", TT, navy blue, chrome SS wheels, Bilstein suspension, SS grill, STB, SLP loudmouth, Direct-Flo lid with Holley filter and Mallory polished MAF ends.

Louisville, KY
Old 05-19-2002, 11:33 PM

Smile

Thanks Again. Kevin V and Mike.

Sorry for the delay. It's been a busy weekend.

Jeff

------------------
1994 S10 4X4.

My Zed