Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

Very Unsatisfied with ZAINO

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2001, 11:35 AM

Post Very Unsatisfied with ZAINO

My brother and I spent all night last night waxing our cars with Zaino. We went through all the steps (clay, Z5, Z2, Gloss Enhancer, etc.). It took us almost a total of 10 hours to do everything (we were very thorough). The results were as following:

1. Zaino takes way too much time for what you get out of it. In the past we have used Duragloss which gives the same exact shine, if not better, as Zaino and only take 1-2 hours as opposed to 10.

2. It is almost impossible, unless you have a black car, to see Zaino as you are putting it on which makes it extremely difficult and time consuming to apply.

3. This is the worst one and I am hoping some of you guys who know what you are doing can respond to this. I just had a fiberglass suncoast hood put on and painted about a month ago. When I got it back from the body shop the paint matched identical! I checked it over and over before I left the shop just to make sure. Well, last night when I removed the final coat of Z2, my hood had changed colors! My hood now in no way matches the rest of the car. It stands out like a sore thumb. I know this had to have been as a result of Zaino--my question is how? My next question is how can I fix it? Zaino gives no warnings on there labels about new paint of fiberglass surfaces so if my paint is ruined, someone else is paying the price if you know what I mean.

My final conclusion is that I am going back to Duragloss and I will never even attempt to experiment with Zaino again.

------------------
00 Pewter Z28 M6 T-Tops

Borla Cat-Back
160* Thermostat
Short Stick Mod
SC Z-Style Hood
w/ airbox
Old 09-15-2001, 12:15 PM

Exclamation

I think the hood might be from putting it on to soon after it was painted. Don't you have to wait at least 2 months?

------------------
Mad_Ice
Old 09-15-2001, 12:25 PM

Nobody told me anything about waiting. Is that just something you are suppose to commonly know.

------------------
00 Pewter Z28 M6 T-Tops

Borla Cat-Back
160* Thermostat
Short Stick Mod
SC Z-Style Hood
w/ airbox
Old 09-15-2001, 02:00 PM

Cool

Your supposed to wait at least 3 months before applying the first coat of wax to a new paint job. There is a cure time for the pain to set up to be prepared to accept a wax.

-Shannon

------------------
"Yep, getting drunk at the ol' flower shop"~ Homer Simpson
"Oooh ! The gum with a cracker center!" ~ Homer Simpson

Http://nomad.cz28.com
'95 White Z-28 T-Tops
Cold Air Intake, Ported TB, Ported MAF, B&M shift firmer, !cat, !iat, LT4 Hotcam, Cloyes, Tylor 8.5MM, Comp cams pro magnum rockers.

* I have the cam and timing chain on. Ported the heads, now i need to get my headers and WP, then the beast lives...
Best ET : 13.84
Old 09-15-2001, 04:06 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NOMAD:
Your supposed to wait at least 3 months before applying the first coat of wax to a new paint job. There is a cure time for the pain to set up to be prepared to accept a wax.

-Shannon

</font>
Zaino contains zero wax.

------------------
96 Black Impala SS
Authorized Zaino Showcar Polish Distributor
www.zainobros.com
Remember #3
Old 09-15-2001, 04:07 PM

Sal Zaino's words:

There's alot of misinformation about waiting three months for the paint to
cure.

I am a custom painter by trade. I am very familar with Dupont, PPG and
all the other paint manufacturers.

The most I personally would wait on fresh "aftermarket body shop" paint
before polishing with Zaino Show Car Polish is 1 week. That's more than sufficient
curing time.

Zaino contains no wax, harmful silicones or abrasives.....

The new paints are catalyzed. A chemical reaction cures the paint. The
older lacquers and enamels needed time for the solvents to release. This
is not the case anymore. Believe me if that paint need 3 months to dry
than it will never dry.... Just the facts.

Also.... Claying a fresh repaint is not necessary

------------------
96 Black Impala SS
www.zainobros.com
Remember #3
Old 09-15-2001, 05:17 PM

So then who am I to hold responsible for my hood getting ruined? Zaino or the body shop, because the body shop never told me anything about having to wait 3 months or any time at all.

------------------
00 Pewter Z28 M6 T-Tops

Borla Cat-Back
160* Thermostat
Short Stick Mod
SC Z-Style Hood
w/ airbox
Old 09-15-2001, 07:47 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by klaymon:
So then who am I to hold responsible for my hood getting ruined? Zaino or the body shop, because the body shop never told me anything about having to wait 3 months or any time at all.

</font>
Zaino is incapable of changing the color of a paint (impossible as your car is clear coated and no wax or polish of ANY kind ever touches the actual pigment layer of paint) other than making it have more reflection or depth. Pewter contains a lot of metallic, two different panels repainted pewter at separate times would be normal for one to look a little lighter or darker than the other due to the paint guns set at different flow rates thereby more or less metallic going on the surface.

[This message has been edited by KevinSS (edited September 15, 2001).]
Old 09-15-2001, 07:54 PM

So KevinSS are you basically saying that I am stuck with my hood being a different color than the front bumper? It blends with the fenders fine, but it has a more golden tone than the front bumper. It matched everything perfect when I originally got it back from the body shop. As the Zaino wears off should it go back to matching again?

------------------
00 Pewter Z28 M6 T-Tops

Borla Cat-Back
160* Thermostat
Short Stick Mod
SC Z-Style Hood
w/ airbox
Old 09-15-2001, 08:50 PM

So KevinSS are you basically saying that I am stuck with my hood being a different color than the front bumper? It blends with the fenders fine, but it has a more golden tone than the front bumper. It matched everything perfect when I originally got it back from the body shop. As the Zaino wears off should it go back to matching again?

</font>
All the pewter cars I have seen from the factory all have a slightly different color front fascia than the rest of the car, has something to do with the flex agent and/or painting on that type of plastic.

------------------
96 Black Impala SS
www.zainobros.com
Remember #3
Old 09-15-2001, 09:51 PM

So Kevin do you think it would be worth me going up to the body shop and complaining, or should I just not worry about it? I mean to me it sticks out really bad, but my wife says you can't see it unless you are looking for it. And do you think as the Zaino wears off it will more like it did when I first got it from the body shop?

------------------
00 Pewter Z28 M6 T-Tops

Borla Cat-Back
160* Thermostat
Short Stick Mod
SC Z-Style Hood
w/ airbox
Old 09-16-2001, 02:12 AM

So Kevin do you think it would be worth me going up to the body shop and complaining, or should I just not worry about it? I mean to me it sticks out really bad, but my wife says you can't see it unless you are looking for it. And do you think as the Zaino wears off it will more like it did when I first got it from the body shop?

</font>
I would swing by the body shop and ask the painter if he thinks where he sprayed is a different shade or hue. I could not say what will happen as Zaino wears off, Zaino is 99.9% optically clear.

------------------
96 Black Impala SS
www.zainobros.com
Remember #3
Old 09-16-2001, 08:00 AM

klaymon, as far as Zaino taking a long time, the time consuming part is the surface prep. This would be done for the best results regardless of what product you plan to use. Getting all the old wax off, claying the entire car to get rid of the built up contaminates and getting back to a smooth surface IS ALOT of work. It just depends on whether you want the car to look its best or doesn't matter. Using the Z-1 for the first application is an extra step and comnbined with the polish takes a little longer to dry.

With a little practice you'll get into the practice of being able to get the polish applied in thinner and thinner layers. Since it stacks, eack layer is increasing the shine and protection. Zaino goes on easier and comes off easier than anything I've ever used in over 30 years of cleaning my cars.

The first time, with the prep being the most time consuming and PITA and trying to change your technique (applying it thin) is the tough part. With only adding polish the 2nd time you'll be surprised how much easier it gets now. Everyone has a little problem getting into the technique of applying the really thin layers the first few times.

I hope you get your hood paint worked out.

------------------
Kevin Villier, 2002 SS #186 - 6M with Hurst and "short-stick", TT, navy blue, chrome SS wheels, Bilstein suspension, SS grill, STB, SLP loudmouth

Louisville, KY
Old 09-17-2001, 08:35 AM

Red face

No offense, but you should have done some more research before you knocked what is probably the best polish around. Like the distributers said, its not a wax and is optically perfect. Zaino brings out the shine in your paint. So if anything zaino just brought out what your hood is supposed to look like. If you go stomping back to the bodyshop all hotheaded and say you put zaino on it they'll void whatever warranty they gave you on it because although you will say it contains no wax they won't give a crap, its just another excuse for them not to fix it.

Zaino doesn't need any warnings because zaino doesn't do anything that would require one. I apply a coat every once and a while when i have time, i z1 it, than z2 or z5 it than go have lunch, entire process including doing the wheels and detailing takes about 1 hour tops. That is for extreme results mind you. Everyone equates zaino w/ hours upon hours of application, well the first time yes!

And this reason alone sways alot of people into not wanting to use or try zaino. Well they need to get the pep boys crap out of they're eyes and try zaino!!

I do hope you get your problem fixed though. Blame the bodyshop though
Old 09-17-2001, 01:46 PM

Not going to defend Zaino one way or the other. But as far as the shade differentation between the hood and the bumper, I can provide some input.

If I've read your post corrrectly, the hood matches the fenders fine, but the bumper (front fascia) does not match the hood. If this is correct you do not have a problem ... sorry this is just the way it is.

I've had two metallic mystic teal Camaros in the last year. On both of them the front fascia was a little duller and slightly darker, it's just the way the material takes the paint. It was probably that way before and you just didn't notice. On my v6, I had the car for 9 months before I paid attention and noticed the difference.

------------------
'01 Mystic Teal Z28
A4/3.23/Leather/T-Tops
Mods - KBDD SFC/K&N FIPK/Cut-Out/BFG DRs/ASP Pulley
13.128/106.273/1.998 60'
313.1 rwhp/325.4 rwtq
www.MysticZ28.com

"To play it safe is not to play"

Quick Reply: Very Unsatisfied with ZAINO