LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

B4C Police Interceptor

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2003, 12:32 AM

B4C Police Interceptor

I saw a 98 or newer camaro tonight that had badges in the usual places for a Z-28 that read B4C Police Interceptor. Is this a real option?
Old 08-17-2003, 12:35 AM

Yep, it is a real option. I believe it just has a slightly stiffer suspension in addition to the lights, bells, and whistles, and whatnot.

-Mike
Old 08-17-2003, 05:44 AM

Pull up next to him rev your engine and dump the clutch, then you'll see how much different it is.....

BTW: They really aren't that much different. Exhaust and suspension I think. Plus the police crap.
Old 08-17-2003, 07:28 AM

Re: B4C Police Interceptor

Originally posted by mousemotor
I saw a 98 or newer camaro tonight that had badges in the usual places for a Z-28 that read B4C Police Interceptor. Is this a real option?
A B4C is a real option, the badges are not. A B4C has no badges. It's a Z28 with some extra wiring for police needs.

Last edited by shoebox; 08-17-2003 at 07:30 AM.
Old 08-17-2003, 08:54 AM
Banned

Re: Re: B4C Police Interceptor

Originally posted by shoebox
A B4C is a real option, the badges are not. A B4C has no badges. It's a Z28 with some extra wiring for police needs.
And I've got one.

And I assure you, there aren't any "stray wires" in mine. A B4C has no badges, and is a V8 model in V6 trim. There is a higher amp alternator, as well as slightly stiffer sway bars.

No leather option, no ttop option. Everything else can be had. If you can find one, get an M6. Most B4Cs are A4s.

Yes, this is a true option. It's just not an option for you. Only law enforcement agencies can obtain B4Cs (police, FBI, CIA, etc.). The only way you will get one is either on a used car lot (that's how I found mine....and I was looking for a Z), at a police auction (they sell very quickly!), or on a NEW CAR lot ONLY IF for some reason, the specified law enforcement agency can not obtain ownership.

Some dealers would order them for the public, but if busted, they could face $10,000 in fines and other charges. Unfortunately, you don't need to worry about that any longer, because the General cancelled our beloved Fbodies for EcoTec Cavaliers and Plymouth Prowler wanna-bes (SSR).
Old 08-17-2003, 09:12 AM

Re: Re: Re: B4C Police Interceptor

Originally posted by Dan Oldham
And I've got one.

And I assure you, there aren't any "stray wires" in mine. A B4C has no badges, and is a V8 model in V6 trim. There is a higher amp alternator, as well as slightly stiffer sway bars.

No leather option, no ttop option. Everything else can be had. If you can find one, get an M6. Most B4Cs are A4s.

Yes, this is a true option. It's just not an option for you. Only law enforcement agencies can obtain B4Cs (police, FBI, CIA, etc.). The only way you will get one is either on a used car lot (that's how I found mine....and I was looking for a Z), at a police auction (they sell very quickly!), or on a NEW CAR lot ONLY IF for some reason, the specified law enforcement agency can not obtain ownership.

Some dealers would order them for the public, but if busted, they could face $10,000 in fines and other charges. Unfortunately, you don't need to worry about that any longer, because the General cancelled our beloved Fbodies for EcoTec Cavaliers and Plymouth Prowler wanna-bes (SSR).
Never said "stray wires". Most police optioned cars came with some extra wiring to make it easier to upfit light bars and such. Perhaps the f-body does not have this.

There is nothing in the parts book to support a higher amp alternator being used. If RPO KG9 is present, then it is the 140 amp alt. Nothing in the parts book indicates special sway bars for the B4C, though they may have used the 1LE bars. Just the facts as I see them.
Old 08-17-2003, 12:57 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: B4C Police Interceptor

Originally posted by shoebox
Never said "stray wires". Most police optioned cars came with some extra wiring to make it easier to upfit light bars and such. Perhaps the f-body does not have this.

There is nothing in the parts book to support a higher amp alternator being used. If RPO KG9 is present, then it is the 140 amp alt. Nothing in the parts book indicates special sway bars for the B4C, though they may have used the 1LE bars. Just the facts as I see them.
Which parts book are you looking at? Do you have a B4C parts book? If so, I've GOTTA know where you got it! I want one.

Shoebox, the alternator is of higher voltage, I believe. It's the "heavy duty" one....whatever GM is trying to mean by that. Then again, GM likes to make fancy names up for things (ie: plastic = composite).

As far as the swaybars, I do believe that they are 1LE units on the early models (91-92), but I'm unsure about the early 4th gens. HOWEVER, the equipment can vary upon the year of the car. The 3rd generation B4Cs were in RS trim, and they also had 4 wheel disc brakes- straight off the Corvette, where as standard RS models had rear drums. If I'm not mistaken, the Z28s ALSO had rear drums, sans the 1LE models and L98 models.

For instance, on the late 4th gens (98-02), I believe that the B4Cs had a slightly more aggressive tuning in the PCM than the standard Z28.

The funny thing is that I've only seen ONE B4C aside from mine, that had never been in service. Most of the B4Cs I see at shows are Z28s that are painted in cop colors.

As far as the "stray wires," I never said that you said they were stray wires. They MIGHT have some extra wiring, but that's a mystery within itself. The Fbody is the only B4C. There are the Impalas/Caprices, and their option code is different from "B4C." I believe it is "9C1," but I'm not positive.
Old 08-17-2003, 01:09 PM

Just using the regular parts book. I don't know of a special one for B4c's.

Nope. I said "extra wiring". You said "stray wires". Stray wires connotes clutter, disarray and chaos.

It's not a big deal, just that there are so many myths about the B4C and such. Yes, Impala/Caprice B-bodies use 9C1 as the RPO for the special service version as did the Mailibus of 1978-up vintage.
Old 08-17-2003, 01:14 PM

One day I was watching the Worlds Greatest Police Chases. One chase was an M3 vs an LT1 Camaro b4c. At the end the officer said the police car is even more powerful than the public's version with a different chip...then the tv host says "when the BMW gunns its 240hp engine, the camaro answers back with its 350 horses" That last part has to be BS, i dont see any way an LT1 B4C have 350 horses from the factory. (I have that video on my computer now btw...i just watched it again to make sure my quotes were right.)
Old 08-17-2003, 01:52 PM
Banned

Dude, I NEED that video of the B4C chasing down the M3! I NEED IT!

But 350hp B4C? I know there was a 1992 "prototype" with some serious hp, but no B4Cs.

But maybe it's my B4C they're talking about. I've probably got over 350hp though.
Old 08-17-2003, 02:21 PM

Blahh, I laugh everytime you hear of the cop camaros having "350hp" and what not. Kentucky just got a bunch of 02 white state cruisers last summer, and the newspaper here had an article about them, and it said they had "351 cubic in. 400hp." The only thing I thought that made BC4's was an upgraded cooling system like most all other cop cars have over civilian models. For those that don't know what model came with what go to this site. http://www.f-body.org/faq/4/4_1.htm

Jason
Old 08-17-2003, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by CamaroGuy22
(I have that video on my computer now btw...i just watched it again to make sure my quotes were right.)
yeah, where is this video? I'd like it as well.
Old 08-17-2003, 02:45 PM

We just sold 2 96 B4C Camaros at our last auction, one went for 3500, the other for 5700. Having worked on these cars, and the 2002's B4C's we have, from what I can tell, they are Z28's without badges. There is no extra wiring, they have the 140 amp alternator, same cooilng system and swaybars as my fourth gen, but maybe there are some differences, but I can't see anything different.
Old 08-17-2003, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by Dan Oldham
Dude, I NEED that video of the B4C chasing down the M3! I NEED IT!

But 350hp B4C? I know there was a 1992 "prototype" with some serious hp, but no B4Cs.

But maybe it's my B4C they're talking about. I've probably got over 350hp though.
http://www.m3power.net

I downloaded it off of Kazaa when i had it...but the bottom of the video has that link when it starts...so give it a try guys, dunno if it will work.

The one in the vid is an LT1 B4C, i think the tv host is just wrong about the hp rating because i caught him messing up another bit of info later on in the video...he says something about the M3 coming with a blower...and thats false.
Old 08-17-2003, 04:18 PM

http://www.brainrender.net/users/gasket/Car%20Vids/

I just searched for the filename in google and came up with that. It's downloading now

Quick Reply: B4C Police Interceptor