General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Hatch release adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2024, 09:50 AM

Hatch release adjustment?

2000 SS...When I press the hatch release button, it fires, but doesn't quite release the hatch all the way. I have to lift up on it gently, press the button again, and then I'm able to open it.
With the key, obviously, I can keep the key turned and lift up with the other hand. But I'd like the remote release to work properly.

Ideas on what to look for, or adjust? The hatch struts are functional. They aren't super strong but they are plenty enough to provide lift assist and hold it fully open.
Old 06-20-2024, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Re: Hatch release adjustment?

Does it have the same “no release” problem when use the dash button, or only when you use the remote button?

Did you resolve your earlier question about the possibility of the hatch glass cracking?
Old 06-20-2024, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Does it have the same “no release” problem when use the dash button, or only when you use the remote button?

Did you resolve your earlier question about the possibility of the hatch glass cracking?
Same problem whether I use the dash button or key fob. Something is causing it to hang, and I haven't been able to determine what it is yet. I tried raising the rubber bumpers on the hatch a little, and that didn't work. The hatch already sits flush with the quarter panels.

The crack in the glass that I think I see hasn't changed. I really hope it's just a defect within the glass and not an actual crack. But it sure looks like one.
Old 06-20-2024, 09:20 PM
Administrator

Are the body seams equal and uniform on both sides of the hatch, full length? Any chance hatch is misaligned, or has a “twist”? That might explain both the glass distortion and release problems.

Might be some adjustment in the factory services manual. Free download (2000 is latest but should be identical):

https://www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti
Old 06-22-2024, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator

I remember reading about a semi-popular “hatch spring mod” that people were doing to resolve this many years ago. I believe they were replacing the spring with something stiffer.

When you press the button, a solenoid opens the latch. The spring pushes the hatch up, but the hatch is heavy, so it rises slowly.

Then the solenoid closes, and as the spring ages and wears out a little, eventually the time that the solenoid holds the latch open isn’t enough time for the spring to lift the hatch past the latch point.

A stiffer spring would lift the hatch a little faster, which would solve the problem. I’m going to go see if I can find an old thread with more detail about how to do this.
Old 06-22-2024, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator

Found it! Apparently these instructions are for ‘99 and up, which will be fine for you — just noting for anyone else who finds this.

Rear Hatch Release Fix

They’re not replacing the spring, but doubling it up with another.

Last edited by JakeRobb; 06-22-2024 at 07:29 AM.
Old 06-22-2024, 11:34 AM

That's awesome, guys, thanks for posting, and it definitely looks like the issue!

I was in the garage last night thinking about it, like, how hard can this be. The hatch appears to be aligned, not damaged, bumpers are present and are making contact with the perches. Rear end has never been hit, and I'm sure the hatch worked correctly earlier in the car's life... I hadn't tried lubing the mechanism yet, although it seemed to move freely. Got the trim out of the way and lubed it up and also made note of the spring. The lube actually helped and it's fully releasing the hatch now with just one press. I will probably install a helper spring on it because the lube will dry up over time again. Nice to know this is a documented issue and an easy fix.

This is in stark contrast to my previous '93, where the previous owner had installed new gas struts on the hatch which were way too strong. When released remotely, the hatch would violently open to full extension!
Old 06-29-2024, 03:46 PM

Smile Re: Hatch release adjustment?

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
Found it! Apparently these instructions are for ‘99 and up, which will be fine for you — just noting for anyone else who finds this.

Rear Hatch Release Fix

They’re not replacing the spring, but doubling it up with another.
That fix work good... For 2 months after I bought my '02 Z28 it drove me crazy, since I didn't had the remote I had to use the switch up front and needed 2 persons to do it. I was lucky to find the fix with the 2 springs, just like yours. I did tried, fixed it and it has been working great after that.