Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

$1000 to spend....need susp. advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 08:29 PM

$1000 to spend....need susp. advice

I just bought my 00 TA and need to get rid of the 4X4 look baaaadd. I've got a grand to spend, and want to lower it about 1.5 inches but..........still keep some part of the nice ride. This is a DD with 18's so....what all exactly do I need.

I was thinking of springing for the Koni's as Strano has em for 725.00 right now, but can't decide on springs. Are their any other shocks out there that can do the job (don't say bilsteins) And, am I gonna need anything else to make this right? I am a BMW tech at a dealer so alignment is not a problem, but what about any other parts to make this work ie adj. PHR etc.

Please help me keep this around a grand cause the momma don't need to know
Old 07-26-2006, 09:38 PM

Re: $1000 to spend....need susp. advice

call sam strano at strano parts...you wont be disappointed.

but if you want to do this on your own, you might want to start with the search button ... thousands of threads will pop up and you can get various opinions about where to start and where you might want to end up.

start with subframes (200), add shocks (400) to MATCH to the springs (150) you get, sway bars(200), PHR and LCA (150), if you have money left over, possibly some front upper control arms (200) to correct ball joint angle and reduce weight...that should take care of the grand if you can find some good deals. since you already have wheels...you wont need them.

talk to sam.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:48 AM

Well, I've read and read and read. There is a ton of info on this subject on the site. I'd love to be able to get some springs and use a set of 400 shocks with them, but from what I gather, the Koni's are the only way to go.

I just came from a 00 mustang that was really low with stock shocks and I hated it.....absolutely hated it. I've gotta have a good ride and still get rid of the 4X4 look.

But......I also bought a GU2 car (I know) so I really need some 3.73's too. decisions What to do first
Old 07-27-2006, 09:56 AM

I'll tell you that anything for sure we plan will have to stem from a phone call. Too may details get lost by e-mail. You're a tech, I'm sure you know what it's like when folks don't give you details and you can't ask questions... kind of hard to fix the problem.

$1000 can get you quite a good suspension. Which springs, what PHB, and so on just depends on our conversation. Could be after talking you opt for Revalves instead, leaving money for a set of swaybars. Or maybe not. Koni's are awesome shocks for this car. But I can't say if they are right for you and your budget over Revalves until we talk.

All about how you want to play with your $1000. Another option is to forget springs, lower the car with the Koni perch/isolator mod (not 1.5", but makes a visual impact) and save that money for other parts. You can always toss on a set of springs further down the road....
Old 07-27-2006, 02:21 PM

Sweet, I hear you're the man when it comes to suspensions on these cars and have also heard you have great customer service. I'll be giving you a call soon so we can talk.

Thanks
Trace