Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

1 piston vs 4 piston , manual vs boosted disc conversion?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 05:20 PM

Question 1 piston vs 4 piston , manual vs boosted disc conversion?!

I have a 67 RS that I want to put 4 way DISC brakes onto. Right now it has 4 wheel Manual DRUMS, lol. I have seen a setup on Ebay for about $1200 that ONLY HAS A SINGLE PISTON Caliper....and that seems SO weak to me. The seller says that double and 4 piston calipers have problems so he stays away. I was also looking in Summit magazine and notice they only have MANUAL disc brake conversions from Wilwood. Which route do you guys think I should take, any opinions or suggestions on brands, ect are MUCH appreciated, THANKS ---
Old 04-05-2006, 11:40 AM

Re: 1 piston vs 4 piston , manual vs boosted disc conversion?!

Since nobody will help me with my 67 on here, PLEASE link me to a good OLD SKOOL Camaro forum ---
Old 04-05-2006, 11:59 AM

The difference in piston numbers I think deals with distibution of pad pressure rather than strength. Im not sure but just to help you out. I've never heard of problems with multi piston setups. In fact dont most new cars come with multi piston setups? AS for boosted/nonboosted, I think thats a preference thing. Do you plan to run/ currently run a cam with alot of overlap? CAuse if you dont have good engine vacuum then a boosted setup might not be the best.

Im not really a brake guy, take this for what its worth.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:09 PM

the multy piston design is to keep the pressuer even on the brakes istead of draging one side over to apply pressuer on it beucase the brakes pressure is applyes more evenly the pads lay flat giveing your beter braking if you ever take the brakes of a one piston design you will see one pad is worn more then the other and even one side of the pad warn more then this greatly reduces braking . my 1969 corvette uses 4 piston brakes stock from the factory i added an aftermarket brake booster. i would look in a camaro specialty book or at year one and see what disc brake coneverson kits they have
Old 04-11-2006, 05:07 PM

Thanks guys, I will look for 2 piston and probably unboosted. I have a cam with the specs 222/222 .447/.447 114 lsa. THANKS GUYS ---
Old 04-14-2006, 12:46 AM

Check out the Baer setup for your car.. They sell 2 sets.. One set utilizes the C4 vette calipers and the other set (the step up) utilizes the C5 vette calipers. Either will work well for your application, and I would suggest manual brakes. You will probably be happier in the long run with them. They do just as well as power assist brakes, with no worries of ever loosing braking pressure.

My friend has a 67 RS that he converted from drums to disks.. He went with the C4 baer setup and it works GREAT! Looks really nice too. Overall a great setup for a street/track car. Track only, I would go all out for a nice set of 4 piston alcon calipers, but thats getting ridiculous with price.

The car mentioned above can be seen at http://www.socalmuscle.com/carpics/67full.jpg