Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

1994 firebird formula jack points?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 03:05 PM

1994 firebird formula jack points?

I am trying trying to find the bet most solid points on this car to jack. I have damage to the pinch welds where most people think it is ok to jack up the car. In the front i now jack it up by the flat metal plate under the center of the engine and it works fine. Where do i jack the car up in the back safely?
Old 06-19-2011, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Re: 1994 firebird formula jack points?

The black plastic pads in the front, right behind the front fender attachment points are intended to be used as lift points. The notched portions of the pinch welds are designed for the factory jack. Look at the diagram on the spare tire cover.

In the rear, jack under the diff housing or the rear axle tubes. Put jackstands under the subframes (right in front of the LCA attachment points). Or jack under the subframes and put the stands under the axle tubes.

Also the subframes inboard of the ones the LCA's attach to, as shown in these photos:

http://www.injuneer.com/images/photo.../DCP03551a.jpg

http://www.injuneer.com/images/photo.../DCP03545a.jpg

Use a flat pad on top of the jack to prevent denting the subframes.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:07 PM

what if my subframes are dented? does that twist your body? can they correct this?
Old 06-24-2011, 08:29 AM

Injuneer - I thought the black plastic pads were BAD to lift from? I could've SWORN I've read threads on here over the years that jacking on those is what typically causes the bottom of the front fender to bend outward and create a gap when the plastic piece flexes.

In the front I always jack on the rear of the front sub-frame where my SFCs are welded on. In the rear, it's under the pumpkin.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:23 AM

I had a brain fart the other night, took me 30 minutes to jack up my car. If I jack up the front of the car first, I can't get my jack under the rear to the pumpkin. If I jack up the rear first, I can't get under the front of the car to the k-member.

Now what I do is jack under each side first in the front on the subframe, one side at a time, and place a jack there. That gets my front in the air, and still lets me fit the jack under the pumpkin.

Jack under the pumpkin, and set the axle tubes down on the stands. Then I go back to the front and jack under the k-member, and put a pair of jacks under a certan part of those which fit into a lip on my jack stands.

That's if I need my axle compressed.

There's gotta be a better way though.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:47 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 97FormulaWS-6
Injuneer - I thought the black plastic pads were BAD to lift from? I could've SWORN I've read threads on here over the years that jacking on those is what typically causes the bottom of the front fender to bend outward and create a gap when the plastic piece flexes.

In the front I always jack on the rear of the front sub-frame where my SFCs are welded on. In the rear, it's under the pumpkin.
On the side of the plastic block, it says "don't jack here". That refers to the metal rocker, in front of the block. If you place lift pads (or a jack) on the metal, you will bend the metal flange that the fender bolts to, and the bottom of the fender pops out. If you place lift pads, or a flat jack surface on the plastic block, you will not damage anything. Have done it many times.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:05 PM

can I jack under the solid metal square in the middle under the motor?
Old 07-27-2011, 11:47 PM

If you have clearance issues when your trying to jack up your car, do what I do, I put foot long 2 inch thick cinder slabs, in stacks of 2, drive the car up on them, a stack of 2 under each of the 4 tires. Works for me and my car is lowered 2.5 inches