Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

1le suspension package

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 10:21 AM

Re: 1le suspension package

I'm sure that the other kits are better than the 1LE kit. For someone who is into serious racing they are better options. My main concern was I wanted something a little better/firmer than stock and for the price (I paid 149.99 for the entire setup:springs, shoks and sway bar) it was exactly what i wanted. The ride is what teh car should have come from the factory as. It's not harsh but definately firmer. My only complaint would be that it does sit a bit high, probably like a new stock setup. I am happy with the minimal amount of money spent for the improved ride quality. Just my .02,

Kyle
Old 09-09-2004, 07:49 PM

Hmm...If enough ppl so so then I guess it is true.

SLP has very inconsistant build qualities, if you special ordered you car, you were supposedly able to get you cars with aftermarket springs and shocks.

Just as a data point though. 1LE fbodies do no better than regular fbodies at autocrosses in stock class. What does that tell you about the 1LE package. The SS and Ws6 are in a different class since you can get them with wider rims, but the z28 with the 1LE option runs in the same class as the non-1LE z28 and shows no advantage.
Old 09-09-2004, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Xride
The SLP eibach springs with the SLP revalved Bilstiens work together awsome and give a great ride, and supeiror hundling.

the bilstien HD with the pro kit are very nice together too.

Dont get the 1LE kit, its a waste of money.
It seems to me that everyone who is running Bilstiens and Konis will tell you that the 1LE Decarbons are a complete waste of cash, as if even saying "yeah, they're ok" would somehow detract from the quality of their almighty shocks. I've never owned the Bilstiens or Konis, but would be willing to venture, based on everyone's input, that they are a better shock. My problem is that I am a broke b@stard and I didn't want to drop anywhere between $450-$650 just for shocks. Also, I wanted to find a performance springs that wouldn't lower my car. Solution; 1LE springs. I've even heard (some Eibach owner will probably correct me) that the 1LE springs proved stiffer in comparison compression tests. Maybe it's just a bad rumor. Anyway, in summary, I got the springs I wanted, better shocks and a 1LE front swaybar. It was everything I was looking for, and it only cost me $149.99 plus about $42 for shipping. So to me, it was not a "waste of money."
Old 09-13-2004, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
Hmm...If enough ppl so so then I guess it is true.

SLP has very inconsistant build qualities, if you special ordered you car, you were supposedly able to get you cars with aftermarket springs and shocks.

Just as a data point though. 1LE fbodies do no better than regular fbodies at autocrosses in stock class. What does that tell you about the 1LE package. The SS and Ws6 are in a different class since you can get them with wider rims, but the z28 with the 1LE option runs in the same class as the non-1LE z28 and shows no advantage.

You are right about autocross, but that was not what the 1LE package was developed for. It was for showroom stock road racing. These are two different applications.

The whole 1LE package is more than just springs and shocks.

It has heavier bushings in all six control arms and the panhard rod.

32mm/19mm sway bars and stiffer front and rear springs. 96 and later have Koni yellow DA shocks. The 93-95 have stiffer valved front shocks and larger diameter rear shocks with stiffer valving.

I checked the P/N on the kit and some of them didn't check out, they might not have been the correct rear shocks or GM might have changed the numbers. WWW.1LE.net has a extensive list of P/N's.

I am in the process of putting the 96 1LE stuff on my car. The bushings have major differences. The rubber bushings do not have the cut outs that the stock Z28 bushings have on the rear lower control arm or the front lower control arms. The are the next best thing to the somewhat problematic poly bushings.

A 1LE with a softer rear spring setup would do very well at autocross.

The kit these guys got is a good value, it is not the complete 1LE setup, but it is most of the 93-95 1LE componets. It is much cheaper than the setup that I am installing.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:16 PM

Thumbs up Re: 1le suspension package

I picked up lightly used Koni SA's for $150 shipped, and new 1LE springs for $80. Throw in poly sway bar mounts, and a poly tranny mount and I'm under $300.

Not a big fan of the deCarbon's myself, but without the killer deal on my Koni's I never would have gone with them. The 1LE springs however are a nice addition up front, and the rear springs are so easy to sway out it's not a problem at all if you want to go back to stock (or even V6 springs) for an autocross. I picked up a $10 set of V6 rear springs to play with for comparison purposes.

35mm or Hotchkis front sway bar with 1LE springs and Koni SA's are about perfect for my purposes, but a complete 1LE kit for that cheap sounds like a good deal in my book as well.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:18 AM

I think I am going to go with the 1LE package as well. But I have a question. Do you think since the 1LE springs in the back are stiffer and higher, that if I cut them about 1 or 2 inches that it would be the equivelant or better than eibach's.

Tim
Old 09-14-2004, 09:01 AM

Don't cut the springs, it will negatively affect the spring rate and can also weaken them. In the rear, you can remove the upper spring isolator and just place a piece of garden hose or heater hose on the top coil of the spring. This will give you about .5-.75" of lowering. If you want the height of Eibachs, then get the Eibachs. The 1LE DeCarbons should work with them reasonably well for regular street use.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:53 PM

I also researched 1LE and asked http://www.gyrhead.com/special.htmabout the part numbers not showing up. He replied to me that they are for 93-95 1LE cars which were DeCarbon's to my knowledge. Even still the 1LE springs have more lbs/in in front 360 as compared to 310 on stock springs. The rears are 130-180 lbs/in as compared to 110 on the stockers. If I ain't happy with the ride, then I only lost $150 bucks, oh well......
Old 09-14-2004, 10:56 PM

It is a good deal if your shocks are worn or blown. But I wouldn't go this route otherwise. A 36mm front bar works about as well while taking only an hour to install. This kit is alot of work to install. Expect a 1-2 days. Price is near the same too.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:04 AM

Hi Folks:

The 93-95 1LE DeCarbon shocks are most certainly different than stock, and the difference is most evident on the rears which are nearly twice the diameter of the standard Y87 and Z/28 units.

And yes, the 1LE package from GM entailed lots more than just sway bars, springs and shocks. It was a purpose built factory race package. However, many of the 1LE benefits can be obtained with changing springs, shocks and front sway bar. Perhaps it's not the "perfect" solution, but it is a lot of value for the money.

As is evident from earlier posts, many of us are working people that need to be careful about how we spend our cash. Sure, you can drop a few grand on Koni shocks, Eibach springs, and fancy aftermarket bars - and that's your decision. However, if you're looking for a cost effective upgrade that won't make your car ride like a lawn tractor and will bolt right in, this is a pretty smart play.

All the best!,

Tom
Old 09-15-2004, 12:24 PM

Thanks for the reply Tom
Old 09-15-2004, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Gyrhead
Hi Folks:

The 93-95 1LE DeCarbon shocks are most certainly different than stock, and the difference is most evident on the rears which are nearly twice the diameter of the standard Y87 and Z/28 units.

And yes, the 1LE package from GM entailed lots more than just sway bars, springs and shocks. It was a purpose built factory race package. However, many of the 1LE benefits can be obtained with changing springs, shocks and front sway bar. Perhaps it's not the "perfect" solution, but it is a lot of value for the money.

As is evident from earlier posts, many of us are working people that need to be careful about how we spend our cash. Sure, you can drop a few grand on Koni shocks, Eibach springs, and fancy aftermarket bars - and that's your decision. However, if you're looking for a cost effective upgrade that won't make your car ride like a lawn tractor and will bolt right in, this is a pretty smart play.

All the best!,

Tom

And FYI... these are good guys to deal with if you decide to order this package. Great customer service.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Gyrhead
Hi Folks:

All the best!,

Tom
This is the place I ordered my set from and fully endorse their customer service. Some of the best service I have ever received. And the kit is exactly as was stated, a good, inexpensive alternative to stock.

Kyle
Old 09-16-2004, 01:50 PM

It says on the web site $189.99 plus shipping. Where are yall coming up with $150.00. Did the price go up?
Old 09-16-2004, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Pig Pen
It says on the web site $189.99 plus shipping. Where are yall coming up with $150.00. Did the price go up?
Price has gone up on that package a few times since they started selling them.

Quick Reply: 1le suspension package