Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

1st handling upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 12:05 PM

Re: 1st handling upgrade

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
I never said you can't live without them, but a quality set will make the car feel more solid, reduce rattles, and improve handling somewhat. And you are right, the 4th gen cars are a ton stronger than even the 3rd gen convertables. But that dosn't mean much, because the 3rd gen car unibody structure was a piece S**T.

As for the rear bar recomendation, that comes from extensive personal experience. Most rear drive cars don't need a large rear bar.
What you said was: "Some where near the top of the list I would put a quality set of weld in SFC. Our cars are quite flexible in stock form. Installing parts to tighten up the handling will only make that worse. Installing them will also help you get the most from your other modifications." When you say that installing parts to tighten up the handling will only make the car more flexible, that leads folks to believe that those parts do no good. My point was I don't have SFC's on any of my current cars, and most of them handle pretty well...... You did say you couldn't live without them, but I think you gave that impression. As for the reduced rattles, more solid feel, and better handling as I said before the three biggest reasons those happen is because it helps band-aid a bad choice of stock suspension in the first place. Sure, SFC's sitffen the structure and take some "spring" out of the body, which is why it does feel better. But the underlying point is that most of the SFC's "cure" shouldn't be happening in the first place.

The 3rd gen is a flexy flier, I agree. But I disagree the 4th gen is as bad as it's always made out to be. There are folks who have installed SFC's *after* a good suspension and noticed no real difference. I've even got a customer who took his SFC's off so he could run a different autox class and again noitced no real change (and again had a good suspenion).

I'm not saying SFC's are bad, not at all. I'm saying that folks use them to cover other inherent issues within the suspension instead of fixing those issues and not only helping the body, but handling, ride, response, getting rid of the floaty feeling so common to the car, and to some extent traction.