Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

2000 SS parking brake won't hold

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 01:31 PM

2000 SS parking brake won't hold

Mind you, this is in my 91 Camaro, but my entire parking brake system including handle lever, all cables forward and rear, top tunnel bracket, as well as 3.42 disk brake rear axle are all from LS1 cars.

The handle pulls up like normal. It goes to about a 50-60 degree angle and tightens up like a parking brake handle should. Once in this position, the car will still roll forward. The brake works fine if I try to roll backwards. I can easily kill the engine trying to reverse against the parking brake but I can easily roll forward right through it.

If I really put some strength into it and muscle hard on the handle lever, it will *somewhat* prevent the car from rolling forward down a mild driveway but it still isn't holding very well.

How can I fix this? It's a manual so I have to be very careful about where I park this thing and it worries me when I let other people (family.....) drive the car. Should I be looking at the axle (under the brake rotors), or at the spring mechanism on the handle lever?
Old 08-15-2010, 08:46 PM

As you probably know the parking brake is a shoe inside the rear rotor "hat" for ls1 style brakes. Your shoes most likely just need to be adjusted. There is either a plug you can remove from the rotor or an access hole in the backing plate that will allow you to turn the star wheel and adjust the shoes. You want to adjust it until it provides a little drag on the wheel as you turn it and then back it off a few clicks. If there is no plug you will have to remove the rotor and reinstall it until you get it adjusted correctly. For some reason when this style of parking brake gets out of adjustment it holds real strong in reverse but doesn't forward. I had the same problem in my GTO with a similar parking brake mechanism.