Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

2001 SS Left Front Dragging After New Pads

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 05:34 PM

2001 SS Left Front Dragging After New Pads

Slapped on a new set of front brake pads on my 2001 SS, 55,000 miles. Right side went on fine, left side was a bit tight but with a C clamp to compress the pistons, that side also went on ok. Problem is left side is now dragging. When the car is jacked, I can spin the rotor ok when the wheel is not bolted on, but once the wheel is on and the lugs tight, the friction increases. The friction is present even with the pistons fully retracted and prior to pushing the brake pedal. I have had the new pads on and off a few times now, swapped left to right ect ect. Either set or combination of sets works fine on the right, both sets drag on the left. I figured the left rotor might have been warped so I replaced it.

The right side is STILL dragging.

Out of frustration I put the old pads back on the left side. They work perfectly grabbing when the should and releasing. NO binding what so ever.

Its just the new pads that cause the binding on the left side and the pads do it even after the pistons have been compressed and the pedal has not yet been pushed.

I have installed many many sets of disk pads on a variety of vehicles and never experienced this issue. Anyone ever dealt with this issue???

Seems that the caliper on the right can handle the the thickness of the new pads but the left caliper simply cannot handle the thickness of the new pads.

Anyone ever run into a situation like this one?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:26 PM

Did you pump the brakes and start the car?