Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

2002 Suspension Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 11:42 AM

2002 Suspension Questions

I just purchased a Z28 2002 rearend and complete suspension to go under a hot rod I am building. I have everything figured out EXCEPT (1) The long brace - 54" that attaches to the differential, does the other end actually attach the transmission or is there a different bracket it attaches to?
(2) There is another brace that is 41" long that has a pivot at one end and 3 holes in a triangle pattern at the other end. Where do this go?
The Panhard bracket is already atteched at the back of the rearend assembly.

Also, the brackets on the body for the panhard and the anti-sway, were they welded to the body or are they bolted on. Any help in locating a drawing would also be of help..THANKS
Old 02-11-2008, 01:31 PM
Administrator

The "long brace" is the torque arm. In a stock setup, the front mount attaches to the tranny tailshaft. But aftermarket designs are available to relocate the mount to the 4th Gen chassis. You should be able to do similar with your "hot rod".

The long brace with the three holes in a triangular pattern is the upper brace for the panhard rod. The panhard rod runs from the bracket on the driver's side of the rear axle assembly, to a long arm welded to the passenger side of the chassis. That long arm is braced to the driver's side of the chassis by the upper panhard rod brace.

In these shots, you can see:
-aftermarket torque arm, with chassis front mount
-the "long arm" that the passenger end of the panhard rod bolts to.
-the upper panhard rod brace

The panhard rod is the long arm welded to the chassis. The rear sway bar end links connect to bolt/brackets that bolt to the upper areas of the subframe. Those are not welded.

This is where the stock bracket for the upper sway bar mounts, using two bolts. This one has a new mount being bolted/welded in to handle higher loads from a "drag" style 1-5/16" rear sway bar:

This shows the whole upper mount for the end links:

Last edited by Injuneer; 02-11-2008 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:10 AM

Many THANKS and the photos were great.....dchatcher