Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

2nd Gen-What are common setups?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 09:00 AM

2nd Gen-What are common setups?

Bought a 71 Firebird Espireit that needs the entire suspension rebuilt and maybe a few chassis improvements

I'd like to know details on set-ups that have worked, with goodpoints and badpoints

I'm not looking for 1g w/ no compromise, my 94 TA is already close to that. Trying to hit a balance - greatly improved handling while maintaining ride comfort AND not introducing noise

Range of questions- What is current "state of the art" for cars that are at least 20 years old?

Ride height - Front lowered with spindles or ?
Rear dropped w/ leaf springs?
Bushing material - Rubber, Polygraphite, Polyurethane, all around or selective
Leaf Spring - Fancy composite or heavy steel; Spring rate
Fr Coils - Spring rate, or anyone using the transverse leaf
Sway bars - is there such thing as too big? What size difference between fr and rr.
Shocks?
Tubular arms?
Body mounts/bushings?

Brake upgrades? Fr and Rr
Wheel and tire size? Without modifications, what is realistic to have no rubbing and still fit under the fender. Appropriate backspacing? From my reading to date, sooo many different answers, but i think front may max at 245/50-17 w/ how much BS [?], and rr may work with as much as 275/50-17 w ~6" BS

Any recommendation where to get such parts would also be approciated. I'm familiar with Global West, PST, Energy Suspension via web and catalogue

Thanks in advance for any advice

Ken B