Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

2nd Opinion on squeaky suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 10:51 PM

2nd Opinion on squeaky suspension

Ok so normally I wouldn't ask this on a forum but over these past few months I've been completely broke (unemployed, disabled vet in college).

So, I purchased this car and took care of the things it's needed and so far it runs perfectly fine.

My front suspension squeaks when I leave my somewhat steep driveway, go over speed bumps, or drive slowly on bumpy roads.

It's only the front, rear is dead quiet.

Car handles the way it should, nice and firm and holds corners well.

Should I assume it's the springs or the shocks? Keep in mind the car is all original and I think 145k miles on the shocks might do that. I ask because I cannot afford for the life of me anything for the car. I have recently acquired some Bilstein yellow shocks/struts without springs. I don't know if I should get my friend to swap my struts/shocks (for cheap, him and his dad own a shop) while using the same springs or just hold out longer until I can get a set of stock springs for the front to prevent the job from being done twice.

Front suspension squeaks alot less when there's plenty of weight in the car IE spindles, shocks/struts, car amp, car sub, calipers, and few other things that would weigh the car down a bit.

As far as a visual inspection goes, nothing out of the ordinary.

I do know if I get these shocks swapped I'll need to get an alignment done.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:12 PM

Re: 2nd Opinion on squeaky suspension

I had the same issue with my car, i couldn't stand it! It had nothing to do with the shocks, springs, or control arm bushings or ball joints. It ended up being the sway bar squeaking within the to rubber sway bar mounts.

I simply took them a part and reassembled with a little bit a grease, cheap and easy

While alignments are never a bad idea if you're short on money, an alignment on a 4th gen isn't necessary when replacing the shocks, with the macpherson setup on a 3rd gen, yes, but not on a short arm long arm setup on a 4th gen

Last edited by 8cylinders>4; 07-12-2011 at 11:15 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:14 PM

Interesting.

Reason I assume it's the shocks/springs is because of what I stated above about adding weight. When there was a good amount of weight (IE car under a heavier than normal load) the suspension squeak was at a minimum.

Not only that, while it's parked I gently lifted the body from the wheel weld and it squeaked. Tried the other side and it squeaked as well.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:42 PM

They make grease that's graphite impregnated, if you use it, wear nitrite gloves. Only thing I could find that lubes the bushings and bearings on my suspension parts, and other doesn't just wash out or stop protecting. It holds up really well. If tour a guitar player try a dab on your trem pivots and front nut, I love this stuff. My suspension bushings haven't squeaked in 6 months