Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

78 Camaro Brakes (anyone familiar with old cars, please help)

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 11:08 AM

Question 78 Camaro Brakes (anyone familiar with old cars, please help)

As my play toy, i'm restoring a 78 camaro Z28. I changed the brakes on it (fnt. disk, rear drum) and it still seems like it doesn't want to stop. The brake pedal will go all the way to the floor, and i'm still moving. It's got a 350 small block in it so i need to stop when i need to stop. I also tried bleeding the brakes just in case if their was air in it. it seemed like that helped a little. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for me to try. I'm thinking it might be the master cylinder or the brake booster, but i don't know if they would be the cause of this. I'm gonna again bleed the brakes just in case if there is air in there that i didn't get out because I waited till their was a steady flow comming out but you never know how deep those bubbles are. If you guys think it is the master cylinder/brake booster that's something i could prob. change on my own, right? I have Haynes and I am mechanicly inclined... PLEASE HELP!!! IT'S SOON TO BE SUMMER AND I WANNA CRUISE AND KILL ALL THOSE V6 MUSTANGS!!!
Old 05-02-2006, 03:49 PM

Lightbulb Master Cylinder.

From what you describe .

When you bleed the brakes, do you have a helper who is pumping up the brakes until they get firm, then holding the brake pedal until after you tighten the bleed screw ?

Or, are you doing a gravity bleed ?

In either case, if a power booster was bad, you would notice additional effort when you hit the brake pedal, but it would not go to the floor.

Master cylinders are easy in these old cars and it does not take a shop to bleed ( due to anti-lock systems in the newer cars ) , and new master cylinders used to/may still come w/ the tubes you need to bench bleed them initially.

Power boosters are easy as well, providing you can get to the mounting bolts under the dash.

Been a long time since I worked on a second gen Camaro !

My .02 , anyhoo.

Britt