Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

8lb mini-sledge???

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 09:04 AM

8lb mini-sledge???

So I go to my friends house to work on replacing the brakes up front. Had some Brembo blanks delivered with some Hawk pads a few days earlier. We get the car up in the air, remove the tires, and the passenger side was cake. Probably took about 20 min. worth of actual work. The caliper unbolted ok, the mounting braket unbolted & the old pads came out, and then the rotor slid right off. Put the new stuff on, cleaned it up and snugged it down....one side done. The driver's side wasn't so great. Got everything off ok but the rotor. I won't slide off. We soaked it with WD40 and used a rubber mallet and the f*%#er wouldn't budge. After 1.5 hours, we called it quits, cleaned up the old crap and re-installed everything. Now, I'm driving around (very slow and cautiously) with good/new brakes on the front right and the old/sh!tty brakes on the front left with the fear of the devil in me that I could end up in the curb if I hit the brakes too hard. The point of all this is...I was told to take an 8lb mini-sledge hammer and a small block of wood and hammer the **** out of the rotor until it broke loose. Has anyone here heard of such a thing??? Is there any other alternative to remove a rusted-on rotor? Pls help!
Old 04-15-2005, 03:42 PM

Re: 8lb mini-sledge???

nevermind...problem solved with two quick hits from an air hammer