Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

94 Z with Rough Ride...Suspension Parts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 08:11 PM

94 Z with Rough Ride...Suspension Parts?

Hey everyone, I bought a 94 Z about six months ago, and I have been driving it a lot more...now that there isn't any more snow, and I've noticed that overall it rides rather rough. If you guys/gals were to guess...what might be the problem? I'd rather not use the "shotgun" approach to rule out or fix the problem...would it be the springs, shocks, upper & lower control arms, ball joints, bushings all around...or what. It handles very nicely, its just the road bumps feel as if I'm getting a hemorroidalectomy or having my teeth extracted. On smooth pavement...I have no problems at all, but bumps or repaired chuckholes with asphalt or similar road imperfections are jarring. Thanks for any and all ideas or suggestions.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:02 PM

Re: 94 Z with Rough Ride...Suspension Parts?

What do you know about the shocks on the car? How old are they? How many miles on them?

I just put new SLP Bilstein shocks on my 94 and the difference it made in how the car rides is amazing. There are some bumps up the road from my house that it used to bottom out on and it was so bad it felt like the rear axle was going to get ripped out from under the car. Now I can take those same bumps at 20mph and it's perfect.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:47 PM

Most road in Indy are terrible. That being said. Your car is 17 years old and most of the suspension components are probably worn out. These cars aren't Cadillacs. The best thing you can do to get a softer ride is evaluate your sidewall on your tires. That's going to be your best way to make the ride more comfortable.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:26 AM

TraceZ...I have no idea on the age of the shocks...but it does seem like a pretty inexpensive upgrade...all things considered.

19z28camaro02...the streets are bad...but with all of the construction going on...hopefully they will improve substantially! Funny you mention the sidewalls on the tires, because I was just evaluating those just the other day...and I did make an adjustment to lower the pressure down to 28 lbs, but no noticeable difference. Like I said before...I usually hate to "shot-gun" approach issues...I'd rather have a decent idea what the problem is and implement a solution based on that knowledge. This is the first time in a very long time that I've owned a car this old...and like you mentioned above...this car doesn't have a Cadillac ride...even on day 1 of its life.

Thanks for the info guys...I really appreciate it.