Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

95 To 00 Diff. Swap Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 05:13 PM

95 To 00 Diff. Swap Question

I purchased a 2000 rear diff. from a SS to put in my 95z i noticed the rotors and calipers are larger than my 95 rear diff. do i need to change the proportioning valve and master cylinder to compensate for the larger brakes or will my existing brake system do the job? changing for the 373 gear ratio. the larger brakes if not to much trouble will be a bonus.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:26 PM

On further thought are the front rotors and calipers on the 00 SS larger also? Sorry guys this probably should of been posted in brakes SORRY !!!!
Old 03-28-2008, 10:03 PM

I do not think you need to chance any valves. But probly a good thing to swap for ls1 brakes on the front too to keep things right.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:05 PM
Administrator

Yes, the LS1 cars had larger front rotors and calipers. Its a popular swap to upgrade the LT1 cars to the LS1 front brakes. People make the LS1 swap regualrly without changes to the hydraulics.

The E-brake actuation system is also different. You will need to match the E-brake cable to the 2000 rear axle components.

Finally, did you check whether the 2000 assembly has the same 3-channel ABS, or 4-channel ABS/TCS that your 1995 has?

I can move it to "Suspension, Chassis and Brakes" for you.........
Old 03-29-2008, 12:17 AM

My 95 doesnt have traction controll for some reason. its a convertable z auto. at least i dont think it does their isnt a light on dash for tc and it for sure isnt limiting wheel spin assuming thats what tc does. what if its the other way around? the 00 SS diff. has tc connections and my car doesnt. will that be any kind of a issue? I will most definatly convert the front as well. its ironic that i ran across the 00 SS being as how i needed the better gearing and that is all that was left on the vehical was the rear diff. brake system and struts. its a stolden recover that is a complete empty shell. EMPTY !!! no dash/wires anything complete gut except for what i needed once i get the front brakes nothing will be left except quarter pannels/floor board and engine cradle.all of whitch look bran new. someone really did a number on this once beautifull SS it makes me sick but at the same time was happy to find it. conflicting you know!! thanks for the imformation.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by gmantlr
My 95 doesnt have traction controll for some reason. its a convertable z auto. at least i dont think it does their isnt a light on dash for tc and it for sure isnt limiting wheel spin assuming thats what tc does.
Traction control was an option - not all cars have it. You only have it if there is "NW9" shown on the build code tag in the glove box. If you had it, there would be a large, ugly black box sitting on the drivers side valve cover, and a switch on the dash/console to turn it off.
what if its the other way around? the 00 SS diff. has tc connections and my car doesnt. will that be any kind of a issue?
Traction control was still on option in 2000. Look at the 2000 axle assembly. If it has a single ABS sensor on the top of the differential housing, it is a 3-channel (ABS only) setup, and will work with your 1995. If it does not have the sensor on top of the housing, it will have a sensor on each end of the axle housings, with a reluctor gear on the axle behind the hub. That would be a 4-channel setup (ABS + TCS) and would not allow the ABS to work in your car.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:06 PM

I dont have any buttons for tc but for the first time in the year i have owned the car when starting it i noticed a light that said LOW TRAC that illuminated like the service engine soon light does i guess i need to check the code in glovebox. one thing for sure there isnt any black box on the valve cover. i removed built and installed engine so i am 100000% sure of that. the 00 diff has the sensor on the top center of diff. i havent looked at mine yet to see if its the same location but i unfortinuatly did just put new rotors ceramic pads and calipers all around car and when the rear was apart nothing was there except axle and caliper mount. i say unfortuniatly due to not even putting 200 miles on car and now i am changing to the ls1 setup. oh well i may run across someone who has a 93-97 f body that needs brakes.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:32 PM
Administrator

The "LOW TRAC" light is used to tell you when the ABS is activated. Its on all the cars, whether they have TCS or not.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:31 PM

Thumbs up

thank you for the imformation