Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Abs

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 09:01 PM

Abs

What is the junk coming off of my master cylinder? Off of the side of it run two hard lines, which run into a funky looking box near to my air box and fuse box. Is that all ABS? If I take that stuff out, and cap the holes in the master cylinder, will I just be removing the ABS system, or is that part of the power brake sysytem, or something else? Cause it would be real nice to clean up under the hood.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:18 PM

Re: Abs

yeah, that is ABS, however, to delete it, you need to run new line to bypass the ABS HCU
Old 11-09-2005, 09:26 PM

this exactly means. . .what? HCU?
sorry
Old 11-09-2005, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by TJ Chapman
this exactly means. . .what? HCU?
sorry
Hydraulic Control Unit, AKA "funky looking box " near the air cleaner.......

if you want a kit to delete it, this site sells kits that come with lines, a flaring tool, a prop valve, a line lock, wiring and instructions

Last edited by Dave89IROC; 11-09-2005 at 09:44 PM.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:21 PM
Administrator

The only lines that leave the master cylinder are the lines for the front and rear braking circuits. Without those lines, you have no brakes. Just curious, why a very normal part like that would be considered "junk" Remove the lines and plug the holes in the master cylinder = no brakes.

The lines attach to a block on the side of the ABS unit that distributes pressure and contains a pressure differential switch to identify system malfunctions that cause a differential pressure in the front and rear braking circuits, which generally result in lost braking effectiveness. The use of split circuits to prevent total loss of braking at all 4 wheels in the event of a system leak, common for maybe 30 years now, can result in 1/2 of your braking cabability being loss due to a leak, and not necessarilly perceptible.

Then to the internals of the ABS unit, which some might consider superfluous.....

But... removing the brake lines because they are "junk" seems a bit extreme.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:22 PM
Administrator

PS: Please post in the correct forum. Moving to "Suspension, Chassis and Brakes".....
Old 11-11-2005, 04:25 PM

Not to be mean, but it dosn't sound like you have the necessary skills and knowledge to safely remove the ABS and live to tell about it. If you want a car with a clean under-hood area, Buy a 69 Camaro.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:45 PM

Injuneer: you obviously didn't look at Dave89IROC's link (thanks Dave) I was just using junk as a Laymen's term. The kit on that link come with a prop valve to balance out brake distribution, and I just needed to know how to get such a kit
And I know exactly what I'm doing RE AND CHERYL, and I don't need you telling me what I'm capable of. If anyone doesn't know how to install some brake lines, and a line lock, with a full set of instructions, they've better have a lot of money to spend on the install of everything they do.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:47 PM

and who the hell says a 96 camaro can't look nice under the hood???
Old 11-12-2005, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Injuneer: you obviously didn't look at Dave89IROC's link (thanks Dave) I was just using junk as a Laymen's term. The kit on that link come with a prop valve to balance out brake distribution, and I just needed to know how to get such a kit
And I know exactly what I'm doing RE AND CHERYL, and I don't need you telling me what I'm capable of. If anyone doesn't know how to install some brake lines, and a line lock, with a full set of instructions, they've better have a lot of money to spend on the install of everything they do.
I understand why some people want to delete the ABS (I've done it on an 8-second 4th Gen chassis).... and I've got my own line lock installed..... got that down pretty well.

All I am asking is how you will "cap the holes in the master cylinder".

Please explain to me and maybe to RE AND CHERYL how you are going to do that.... because apparently we are under the mistaken impression that you have to use the ports in the master cylinder to attach the brake lines, no matter whether you delete your ABS, install a Line Lock, or any combination thereof.

Since you have apparently figured out a way to get those messy, junk brake lines out of your engine compartment, PLEASE let us know how you plan to do it.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:03 PM

chill out! thats what I was wondering. GEEZ! I was wondering if the holes could be capped, or if the lines were useful forsomething besides the ABS. Dave89IROC showed me the delete kit, and then I knew what had to be done. I just didn't need you two degrading me after the fact that I found out what was necessary. I was asking a simple darn question, and i got an easy responce, then I got two mnore smart*&$ remarks after the fact, telling me that I'm not capeable of working on my own car, and I don't know a damn thing. If I'm not mistaken, thats what a forum is for, to asks about something that you are not sure about. THANKS!
Old 11-14-2005, 08:03 AM
Administrator

chill out! thats what I was wondering. GEEZ! I was wondering if the holes could be capped, or if the lines were useful forsomething besides the ABS. Dave89IROC showed me the delete kit, and then I knew what had to be done. I just didn't need you two degrading me after the fact that I found out what was necessary. I was asking a simple darn question, and i got an easy responce, then I got two mnore smart*&$ remarks after the fact, telling me that I'm not capeable of working on my own car, and I don't know a damn thing. If I'm not mistaken, thats what a forum is for, to asks about something that you are not sure about. THANKS!
What's your problem. My answer was as straight forward and non-degrading as it could be under the circumstances..... maybe you read it that way when you realized how little you knew about the brake system, but that's YOUR problem, not mine. Show me where my post was degrading.

You're the one that got snotty with the "you obviously didn't look at Dave89IROC's link".

Based on your attack, and calling me paranoid in another thread - simply because I moved that thread to the correct forum like I did with yours - appears you want to start some sort of fight here.....

Bring it on!
Old 11-14-2005, 05:56 PM

WOAH! Tough Guy! seriously, chill out. I said that you obviously didn't look at his post because what it took you a hundred words to say, and make it sound like I'm a friggin idiot, was said in the above post by linking me to the delete kit. Maybe it was just me, but
Just curious, why a very normal part like that would be considered "junk" Remove the lines and plug the holes in the master cylinder = no brakes.
The use of split circuits to prevent total loss of braking at all 4 wheels in the event of a system leak, common for maybe 30 years now, can result in 1/2 of your braking cabability being loss due to a leak, and not necessarilly perceptible.
sound like: "I'm a moron for freely using the word junk, and I don't know squat about brakes, cuz this has been around for 30 years."
Maybe it's just lack of verbal intentions through typing, or maybe you really were being a jerk IDK. But thats how it came off to me. If that wasn't your intention, then I'm sorry
Old 11-15-2005, 06:59 AM

No body was degrading you. Read your initial post. It sounds like you don't have a clue. Without knowing you, all I have to go by is what's in your post. There are many of us that have extensively modified cars that paid someone else to build it. The forum is for helping each other. But if your about to tear apart your car and it's apparent (in the post anyway) that you can't even change you plugs, I would hope someone would tell you to hold off on it. More than a few of us have torn into our cars, only to break something, and not be able to fix it.

It's all good!
Old 11-15-2005, 10:23 PM

Where in the hell did you get that I can't change my plugs!? I can't tell you how many times I've done spark plugs. I wasn't talking about spark plugs, I was talking about plugging the holes in the master cylinder, which I was so kindly informed was impossible, and I shouldn't work on my brakes, because I might kill myself. I was cluesless, I'll admit, clueless about an ABS system (not too many people are gonna know that) and I was clueless about an HMU. But just try and tell me yuo knew what an HMU is. Like I said don't tell me I don't know about cars, and that its dangerous for me to work on them. Everything that's EVER been done to my car was done by me, I have never paid to have work done on my car, I've been paid to work on others' cars, and me and all them are all still living. So, I'm sorry I don't knoweverything like you aparently do, and next time I just won't ask (because that's the way I'm goi ng to learn) I'm not about to jump into an ABS delete anytime soon w/out any knowledge. Hence I was asking for some knowledge. It just happened to be something I noticed on my car, had heard about being done, and had a few questions. If it's a crime to be curious, I guess I'm guilty.

Quick Reply: Abs