Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

ABS "Brain" Location?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 09:37 PM

ABS "Brain" Location?

Mine is bad and I need a new one. Firstly, where is it located? Is it near or under the ABS motor? I thought I knew exactly what it was when the shop told me, but is it the ABS Control Module, ABS Modulator, or ABS Actuator? Here is a pic of the control module from rockauto:

I looked briefly but did not see it.

For reference, what I think is the ABS motor is this contraption:

Old 11-03-2009, 10:59 PM

The abs computer is under the dash on the drivers side. It is to the far left mounted horizontally and kind of in the corner formed by the firewall and the left side of the body.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:31 PM

thank you.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:43 AM

There are specific tests to do for a bad EBCM which is what the first picture above is actually called. I replaced one from a JY after months of testing.

Are you having a ABS problem?
Old 11-07-2009, 12:47 PM

Yes, abs inop light has been on a few weeks after I did pads and braking performance has suffered, had a shop check the brake system fully and they said the brain was bad.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:49 AM

Ah yes after bleeding the brakes. Well with ABS you are supposed to shuttle the ABS motors back and forth when bleeding the brakes.

It's common for the ABS IL to come on if that wasn't done while bleeding. Usually the light will go off after a few hours of use. Why yours is still on is not clear but I don't think the EBCM decided to crap out at the same time you bled the brakes.

One thing I'm concerned about that you said. That brake performance is off. When the ABS IL comes on it has nothing to do with normal brake performance. It merely keeps the ABS from coming on at times of wheel slip. If you have poor performance, you have another issue with the brakes that must be dealt with.

Is the ABS IL light on as soon as the engine is running or is it off until the car starts to roll?

You will have to scan it to see what the code is and go from there.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Did you even need to bleed the brakes when you did the pads?

Is the "BRAKE" light also on?
Old 11-15-2009, 09:13 PM

I never bled the brakes, where'd you get that? I'd like to, I doubt it's ever been done. I suppose the brakes aren't that bad, but they should definitely be better. I remember when I had my v6 and I first put new slotted rotors and good pads (cant remember the brand), it stopped really well. I think it has something to do with the ferro carbon pads. They are advertised as a street/strip pad endorsed by the SCCA, but a brake guy told me they are brilliant when they are warmed up, but don't have significant bite on the street until you push it hard. I think in every day driving they just felt a bit more mushy to me. I did have a close call on the freeway onramp going maybe 45-55 mph, having to suddenly stop, I just barely missed the rear bumper in front of me, I didn't slide, it was just slooooowly coming to a stop.

Oh, they are Hawk HPS fronts btw. I bedded them as best I could on a public road.

Last edited by MarcR94v6; 11-15-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:26 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by MarcR94v6
I never bled the brakes, where'd you get that?
Read the post immediately above mine... Speedy assumed you bled the brakes, and I wanted to verify that you did not. I was hoping to avoid confusion over the possible source of your problem being related to bleeding the brakes. Apparently I didn't make the point very clearly. I wasn't challenging you or indicating that I believed you had bled the brakes - quite the opposite.

I'll drop off this thread, since appartently I'm just confusing it.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:48 PM

No, my fault. I forgot to quote him, as my post was directed at him, not you.

And no the "brake" light is not also on. It worries me that normal braking "shouldn't suffer". I'd like to bleed my brakes to see if performance increases, but I'm afraid I'll screw up doing it myself and I can't afford to have it done for a long while.