Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

ABS delete

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 04:05 PM

ABS delete

I want to get rid of this hassle

Are there any simple kits aviable?

Thanks
Eric

OHH links please if you got-em
Old 10-19-2004, 10:34 PM

Re: ABS delete

no one has done this?
Old 10-19-2004, 10:49 PM

Not me, I'm sure someone has though. Just curious, what "hassle"? I always think of abs as a good thing, not a problem thing...

Dave
Old 10-20-2004, 06:11 PM

Its only a pia if its always broken
Old 10-23-2004, 06:33 AM

...hey faded93bird, ABS delete? I just took my ABS unit off a couple of days ago {or should I say that I STARTED taking it off last week & just FINISHED it a couple of days ago?} Yeah a real 'pain in the ***' to do! Now that its all
over I'm glad I did it but still it was a pain. I also wanted to make it a
really simple swap. After looking on this site I also went to another f-body web
site & found a post that listed all the parts {including part numbers} that I
would need. So then I purchased the parts & took my unit off but
none of the parts that I had fit! . Some of the adapters that i'd been given
were the wrong ones & some of the adapters that were the right ones {according to the web site} just didn't work with my car.
And believe me EVERYWHERE you go to ask about ANYTHING metric brake fittings and they {'they' being the parts counter guys} just get this weird look on their face! Weird look, as in "good luck fella"..... Oh, I also had a porportunate
valve {spelled wrong, I know} off of a 84 Camaro that I tried to incorporate
into the job {I somewhere read that this would make the hook ups easier, but
nope, didn't help}. Anyway what I finally did {and this is what I would start out planning to do next time I do this} was just take off both of the front brake lines & have 3/16 standard brake fittings put on {I heard 'horror'
stories about guys doing it themselves, so I had a brake shop do it. They are a double flare which is hard to do}.
I ran these into a tee. I also had a 3/16" standard fitting put on the end of
the short line running out of the master cyl. & then this also went into the tee
{all three lines were way to long so I had them cut shorter}. This took care of
the front. For the rear I took off the line and again had the brake shop flare on a 1/4" standard fitting {rear line is 1/4"}. I then reduced this down to a 3/16 standard fitting which ran into the short line that runs into the master cyl. So-o-o I had three 3/16" standard ends flared onto the original lines for the front. And one 1/4" & one 3/16" standard fitting flared on for the rear. I then totally replace the brake fluid with Valvoline Synpower Fluid, no porportunate valve and my brakes work FANTASTIC .... {but thank God its over ... I mainly removed my ABS to make way for a revised homemade CAI that I made {plus I grew up w/o ABS and like the 'no ABS feel'}. I used 4" plastic pipe & a K& N filter that is 7" in diameter and 18" long {no misprint, its 18" long!!!.... Why did I use such a big filter? I don't know as the one that it replaced was already 7" x 9" which is ALREADY overkill!, I guess because I saw it in the catalog and some powerfull force beyond my control just MADE ME DO IT.... good luck... Bill.....

Last edited by billsbird; 10-23-2004 at 06:43 AM.
Old 10-23-2004, 11:38 PM

Humm, well I basicaly have no rear brakes and figured I would jus get rid of it(abs), while I redo the whole system $$$$$.

And yes I too, heard there was a simple way to do it. Well while I gather parts, I will rethink my decision.

Thanks
Faded
Old 10-24-2004, 05:58 AM

....Faded, I would do it for sure if I planned on my car being
down for two or three days. But I just planned on it being an hour or two
project, thats all. It's actually easy to do, just a hassle getting the parts together. May be all 'our' cars aren't exactly the same fitting wise and all???
I got a parts list of off frrax.com but for some reason didn't have much
luck with that..... enjoy, Bill.....
Old 10-24-2004, 09:40 AM

I just have mine unplugged from the rear. The annoying ABS INOP light comes on, but this winter I will take the whole unit out with the engine. Good luck.
Old 10-24-2004, 02:18 PM

Yeah, the car is not my daily anymore though i would like it to be . so i may attempt it when I change my master cylender. also did you reuse your stock master?
Old 10-24-2004, 07:24 PM

....yes, the master cyl. is the original one plus the lines running out of
master cyl are the original ones, just with standard fittings on the end.
The only hassles are the metric fittings. If you just put on
standard fittings everything becomes really easy. From what I understand
there just isn't a metric fitting in existance that will adapt the 12mm line coming from the rear brakes that needs to go to the master cyl. {oh, but there is a company that makes an aluminum block that adapts ALL the metric lines to make the job REALLY easy. Of course the downside is cost as its $150 dollars}.
You mentioned that as of now your car isn't a daily driver so I just go for it! . I concidered taking the power brake unit off but then decided against it..... Bill....
Old 10-26-2004, 12:12 AM

I don't know about all this technical crap on taking your ABS off. Mine just doesn't work. I bought the car this summer, it could have been converted, i don't know. Is there any way to know. I'm pretty sure somebody taped over the abs inop light, which i conviniently saw after I bought it. Oh well, I don't know if i want abs anyways.