Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

ABS Delete - how to?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 03:48 PM

Re: ABS Delete - how to?

I realize this might not be the best as far as braking performance but will this set up make one tire brake more or less than the other??
Old 03-27-2005, 05:51 PM

http://www.mycamaroz28.homestead.com/

3rd of the way down.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:36 PM

thanks for the link but I really am considering dropping hte rear brakes on the car they do very little in forward stopping. I will retain the e-brake just in case but I Would like to take the two lines one for the left front and the other for the right front and put the lines directly on the master cylinder. My only question here is: will one wheel stop quicker thatn the other?
Old 03-27-2005, 07:39 PM

Yes one wheel will have more line pressure resulting in a prioritized stopping. You could adjust that with a prop valve.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:45 PM

Oh and that link wasnt for you. It was the actual thread starter, not the thread hijacker.

You'll have to leave your calipers on if you want to retain the ebrake btw. Unless you're 98+
Old 03-27-2005, 07:48 PM

thanks Bawls that is what I needed to know. I do have another question though if I used one of the master cylenders outlets and split that off similar to what many non ABS cars do to both wheel. ( the rear wheel brakes do this) and plug the other line in the master Cylinder. would I get the same result or would I be okay.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:52 PM

you could do that too, it would then apply all the pressure to the open port. Good luck.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:25 PM

I wouldn't try to reinvent the wheel.

Your rear brakes do play a part in your stopping ability. Especially if your running skinny tires in the front. The front skinny tire if beneficial from a weight reduction as well as less rotational frictional forces...great for acceleration, but not as good obviously for stopping. Your rears will play a larger part in your stopping due to this.

I like the way SJM Manufacturing ABS delete kit from the link shown above has a kit ready to go, the base kit seems very reasonable considering purchasing all the parts it includes. Hell a line lock and proportioning valve costs quite a bit in comparison.

You would think you'll save alot doing it yourself, add the time going back and forth to the parts store, ordering and paying for shipping for a variety of parts, don't really add up to much of a saving.

I read about folks using compression fittings, these are NOT used on fluid braking systems, they are generally used in the air brake industry. Fluid controlled systems primarily use double flare or on newer setups bubble flare.

Last edited by JG94Z; 03-27-2005 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:40 PM

Completely understand your point on this. I don't believe that I will ever go to skinnys on the front but you are right I would definatly need them the rear brakes for this. I am also trying to remove a line going to the back for my true duals. I also will for sure keep my e-brake. I am actually finding that I am using my e-brake on my other two vehs i have for taking corners and such. This is not a dailey driver Z28 and it may go to the track once or twice. I am doing everything for weight reduction and performance. Oblivously I do not want to skip out on safty but if I can accomplish a simplified safe brake system with the fewest amout of $$$ I will do it.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:50 PM

Your brake handling characteristics are going to be waaay off. Your going to be loosing ~30% of your braking capabilities.

Your car will also nose dive quite a bit on hard stops AND while braking on hard turns you may loose steering ability if your brakes lock.

Using your rear e-brake on those situations will NOT work as your going to apply them incorrectly, locking your rear and then putting your car into a spin (a doughnut) like I used to do when I was 16 in parking lots with my parents car...lol. I could not see one going 50mph around a turn, applying their brakes, needing more then adding the e-brake to help stop...I certainly wouldn't want to be a passenger nor the driver.

The stock brakes on an LT1 aren't known to be very good as it is, your handicaping yourself as well as creating an unsafe situation.

I really don't feel that saving yourself a few dollars is worth the hassle. Respectfully, it's your car, do what you feel is best for you.

If your looking to save weight, remove the e-brake I suppose, your not saving that much by removing a few lines. Save weight and money on other less important modifications.

It is not necessary to remove any brake lines to use run true duals.

Good luck
Old 04-03-2005, 08:27 PM

I believe after all this research that I will be better off keeping the stock ABS. As far as Brawl's comment about me hijacking a thread...May be you need to look at the dates this thread died and the date I posted a reply. JG94Z you have been most helpful. thanks
Old 04-03-2005, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by pelebkf
I believe after all this research that I will be better off keeping the stock ABS. As far as Brawl's comment about me hijacking a thread...May be you need to look at the dates this thread died and the date I posted a reply. JG94Z you have been most helpful. thanks

It's Bawls.