Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

ABS inop, what to check

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 05:05 PM

ABS inop, what to check

I have a 96Z, with 3 channel ABS. I installed a strange 12 bolt with the supplied sensor and it worked fine for about 3 weeks. THen I noticed the ABS inop was on when I was driving. I then proceded to turn off the car then turn it back on to reset the computer, and the ABS inop light went off. After about 2 min, the light came on again. I reset the computer again, same thing. THen after the third time I reset the computer, the light came on and now it stays on all the time no matter what. I thought it was a loose conenctor, checked the wheel speed sensors at both front wheels and the rear differential, the wires are all intact. Also checked the ABS fuses, and the third brake light. I also checked the ABS system under the hood and I see three connectors there, they are all connected. Only thing left to check is the ABS computer, which I don't have a scanner for. ANy suggestions as to what to check next, or the cheapest way to go about and get the trouble code out of the computer??
Thanks
Brian
Old 05-22-2004, 07:59 PM

TTT
Old 05-22-2004, 09:15 PM

Originally posted by Hawk
TTT
Here is something to check, If you have headers check the electrical connector near the collector, I burnt the **** out of mine and the light does the same thing as yours. It is on the passenger side running down and almost looks like the O2 sensor plugin.
Old 05-22-2004, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by grygst76
Here is something to check, If you have headers check the electrical connector near the collector, I burnt the **** out of mine and the light does the same thing as yours. It is on the passenger side running down and almost looks like the O2 sensor plugin.
Thanks, I'll do that.

I did a search and found some things I'll try, if nothing I guess I'll have to go to the dealer and get it scanned, .

Does anyone know if places like autozone can scan it for cheaper??

Brian
Old 05-22-2004, 09:55 PM

Sounds like a sticky relay to me. You said that you "Checked all the ABS fuses"?? How? Did you ohm them out with a multimeter? I would check that before you start replacing crap!!
If you have a scanner...scan it!! Or go to a parts store and have them scan it.

If the light is intermittent then it is either a sticky relay or poor connections. Make sure you FULLY inspect the connections and connectors. Make sure that the plastic connectors are broke or dirty. Trace out every wire and make sure it is not grounding out or shorting out. (as grygst76 said before) Also if you have a meter, check the continuity between each line to make sure it is not broken INSIDE the insulation...I had that problem and took me about an hour or so of troubleshooting to find it!!

Hope that helps...
James
Old 05-22-2004, 09:59 PM

Also for trying to get the codes out of the computer...2 ways

1. Scan tool to clear the codes and history

2. Ignition Cycle Default
-If no diagnostic faults occur for 100 drive cycles it will be cleared (a drive cycle is where the Ignition is turned ON and driven faster than 10 mph)

So in your case, it would have to be the Ign. Cycle default...but dont think that is going to work either....

Hope that helps a lil too....

james
Old 05-22-2004, 10:02 PM

Originally posted by JamesNobles
Sounds like a sticky relay to me. You said that you "Checked all the ABS fuses"?? How? Did you ohm them out with a multimeter? I would check that before you start replacing crap!!
If you have a scanner...scan it!! Or go to a parts store and have them scan it.

If the light is intermittent then it is either a sticky relay or poor connections. Make sure you FULLY inspect the connections and connectors. Make sure that the plastic connectors are broke or dirty. Trace out every wire and make sure it is not grounding out or shorting out. (as grygst76 said before) Also if you have a meter, check the continuity between each line to make sure it is not broken INSIDE the insulation...I had that problem and took me about an hour or so of troubleshooting to find it!!

Hope that helps...
James
I checked the fuses with a meter. I did a quick check on all connectors, I'll do a more complete check tommorow. Also, I'll check the relay.

As far as scanning the computer, I have a code scanner but it's for the OBDII PCM, the ABS computer is a seperate computer if I'm not mistaken and it doesn't have anything to do with the PCM. I never seen a ABS scanner and thought only the dealer has them, is this correct??
Old 05-22-2004, 10:10 PM

Well not sure on that. The scanner "should" pick up the codes for ABS failures, but youre right about the ABS computer...known as the EBCM (electronic brake control module) I have YET to see one fail before. But as for clearing codes, I believe you need either a TECH 1 or equivalent scan tool. I think it plugs into the diagnotic port under the dash ( i think thats where it is on a 96 Z) but dont quote me on it!! and that would be how you clear the codes.
Old 05-23-2004, 12:04 AM

If you haven't checked your brake lights yet, get someone to push the brake pedal while you stand behind the car. My ABS Inop light was on last week and it turned out to be the 3rd brake light was burned out. I replaced the bulbs (there are 2) and the ABS inop light went out.

I hope you are lucky and it is something that simple.

Good luck.