Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

ABS is kicking on when the wheels aren't locking up

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 05:56 PM

ABS is kicking on when the wheels aren't locking up

Today when I was driving my car in the rain, at low speeds the ABS kept kicking on at low speeds when I was braking, usually around 5mph. I'm not braking even close to hard enough to lock up the wheels, so there's no chance they are locking up. When it would kick on, the car wouldn't brake as good since its releasing brake pressure. I has never done this before, and like I said there is a 0% chance I'm locking up the wheels. I tried the brakes out at 30mph and the ABS seemed to work fine, but at low speeds its acting up.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:58 PM

Re: ABS is kicking on when the wheels aren't locking up

My dad's 99 blazer does the same thing... Just to help you out I replaced the rotors and pads already and cleaned the ABS ring. It didn't help. If someone can shead some light on this it would be nice.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:05 PM

you need to look at the wheel speed reading with a scan tool

if one of the wheel speed sensors is reading lower then the rest, the ABS will actuate when you apply the brakes(brake switch input is one of the requirements for actvation), as it thinks there is lock-up starting
Old 09-05-2006, 06:33 PM

clean all ur wheel speed and abs sensors,

ive read plenty of posts on here expalining the same problem , i have had this problem to , but this should help alot
Old 09-05-2006, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by CamaroSS30thAnn
clean all ur wheel speed and abs sensors,

ive read plenty of posts on here expalining the same problem , i have had this problem to , but this should help alot
How do I clean the sensors? Just where they plug into? And are there any other sensors besides the ones on the wheel bearings?
Old 09-06-2006, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Today when I was driving my car in the rain, at low speeds the ABS kept kicking on at low speeds when I was braking,
Was there any indication on the dash the ABS was coming on? Such as the "LOW TRAC" light?
Old 09-07-2006, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by speedygonzales
Was there any indication on the dash the ABS was coming on? Such as the "LOW TRAC" light?
Yep.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:46 AM

The problem is entirely from the water and will be no way to compensate for it. See it on cars everytime it rains. Search for TSB's and there may be a help tip.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:34 PM

I have this problem as well, only at low speeds then it'll kick on. I'm in the process of checking my wheel speed sensors right now. I have a 95 Z and the book I have says there should be 2 in the rear, but there is only 1 in the middle. Where are they plugged into in the front? And where do they all plug into on the other end?
Old 09-08-2006, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by z28 justin
I have this problem as well, only at low speeds then it'll kick on. I'm in the process of checking my wheel speed sensors right now. I have a 95 Z and the book I have says there should be 2 in the rear, but there is only 1 in the middle. Where are they plugged into in the front? And where do they all plug into on the other end?
You will only have two rear wheel speed sensors if your car has the optional traction control system. Without it, you get a single ABS sensor on the differential housing.

Shoebox has a diagram of the non-TCS ABS system on his website:

http://shbox.com/1/ABS_schematic.jpg
Old 09-08-2006, 04:24 PM

Thanks, forgot what the website was for shoebox
Old 09-09-2006, 08:37 AM

This is a common problem among GMs SUVs, and some Fords also. They all use the same style ABS system.

Basically the ABS module is seeing a lockup condition from one or both of your front wheels. This is due to a sensor reading incorrectly from improper air gap. Corrosion builds up over time on the hub and moves the sensor further away from the reluctor ring, creating a "dropped signal" that is present at or below 5mph, and is often intermittent.

To remedy this, you will need to carefully remove both front wheel speed sensors from the hub. With a metal file and some sandpaper file the sensor mounting pad until the rust is removed. You'll want it free of all corrosion, clean and level. Try to avoid contaminating the bearing with dirt/debris. If the rust is built up pretty bad, lightly tapping it with a ball peen hammer will chip all the rust away. Reinstall the sensors.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by speedygonzales
The problem is entirely from the water and will be no way to compensate for it. See it on cars everytime it rains. Search for TSB's and there may be a help tip.
It does it wet or dry, and just started doing it.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:13 PM

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
This is a common problem among GMs SUVs, and some Fords also. They all use the same style ABS system.

Basically the ABS module is seeing a lockup condition from one or both of your front wheels. This is due to a sensor reading incorrectly from improper air gap. Corrosion builds up over time on the hub and moves the sensor further away from the reluctor ring, creating a "dropped signal" that is present at or below 5mph, and is often intermittent.

To remedy this, you will need to carefully remove both front wheel speed sensors from the hub. With a metal file and some sandpaper file the sensor mounting pad until the rust is removed. You'll want it free of all corrosion, clean and level. Try to avoid contaminating the bearing with dirt/debris. If the rust is built up pretty bad, lightly tapping it with a ball peen hammer will chip all the rust away. Reinstall the sensors.