Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

abs problem still there?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 08:03 AM

abs problem still there?

ok so a while ago my abs inop would come on, but if i shut the car off for a bit and started it up again, it would not be on but come on a little later. So like the most common problem, i put my car up on the lift, disconnected the connectors on the rear axle and the front hubs and used qd electrical cleaner on them and i put a little bit of electrical grease on them as well. started the car, drove it, even locked up the wheels, abs still inop. I even cleaned the main electrical plug where the rear axle sensor goes into the body.

Does anyone have any of what i should look into next?
Old 01-07-2007, 02:51 PM
Administrator

What year/model/etc.? I'm going to guess its a 4th Gen, without traction control.

Did you try cleaning the rear sensor, by removing it from the differential housing? Easy enough to access. Its the front sensors that are hard to clean up, and they are not removable, requiring replacement of the integral hub/spindle/bearing cartrdge they are mounted in.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:48 PM

no i didn't remove the actual sensor out of the housing, i just disconnected the plug.

its a 95'z28 and no traction control.

can i just take the rear sensor out and clean it or do i have to drain the rear diff?
Old 01-07-2007, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by EvilDCustoms
no i didn't remove the actual sensor out of the housing, i just disconnected the plug.

its a 95'z28 and no traction control.

can i just take the rear sensor out and clean it or do i have to drain the rear diff?
Since the sensor is in the top of the housing, it won't be submerged in lube.

You may need to get some info on how to test the sensors and/or have it scanned to see if there are any ABS codes. It takes a shop with a higher dollar scanner to read ABS codes.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:24 PM

My ABS inop light came on awhile back and I checked everything I could think of. Then somebody on the board asked me if my Third brake light was working.No,it wasn't. I replaced the bulb and bam no more abs inop light. I don't know if this would cause your problem,but since GM decided to make the light come on when a bulb is out,then I guess anything is possible.Good luck.