Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Ad for PA Racing K member. What's the real deal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 05:19 PM
Banned

Question Ad for PA Racing K member. What's the real deal?

Any truth to any of this?

Our K-Members are made with provisions to reuse the factory motor mounts and motor stands. We have found that incorporating the motor stands into the k-members not only weakens the k-members, but makes it impossible to remove the motor through the top of the car.

This is a direct bolt in component. All of your factory components will work with this k-member. We have found it to be the ultimate choice for Street, Strip, and Road Course use. We are the original and still the best fitting and lightest for this application. Our K-members weight between 18-20lbs, thats a fraction of the factory units weight.

For almost $200 less than a BMR K member it's hard to say no. Unless, of course, all this is false and it is gonna be a lot of bs to install this thing properly.

What install and use differences am I lookign at, if any, with using the PA K without the motor mounts welded on vs using a BMR K with the motor mounts already welded onto it?

Last edited by slider; 02-17-2004 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:16 PM

this would be good to know. my kmember is dented and needs to be replaced so i can have perfect alignment. wich one is good? wich one is worth it? wich one do i need?
Old 02-17-2004, 07:37 PM

I can pull my Motor and put it back in from the top with my BMR no problem, and it has the integrated mounts.
As far as weakening concerns go, I have no clue... I can't see a reason as to why.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:42 PM

I believe bmrs is slighty lighter, about 6lbs lighter.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:19 AM
Banned

Anyone else have some info to add?
I still am not sure if I wanna go w/the PA K member or if it's gonna be worth the extra $200 for the BMR.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:00 AM

i have a PA ready to go on my 97,and friend has a PA on his 87 formula for a while. cant beat the room they offer,and the price is great. BMR has a few extra pipes to it,but havent seen 1 up close.

we have no regrets in regards to the PA.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:05 AM

The PA has been working well for me, but there are some quality contol issues.

PA doesnt seem to own a wire brush or grinder, as they just powder coat right over the slag.

Also, check out the placement of the bolt holes for the frame mounts. One is directly under the main bar. It was an SOB to get the bolt in, even after finding a short bolt and trimming the head.

http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...0_173_full.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...0_175_full.jpg

And I didnt like the fact that it came with no instructions and no bolts - just the k-member itself in box.

Where is the $200 difference coming from ??? When I bought mine last year, there was only about an $80 price difference between PA and BMR.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:07 AM
Banned

Originally posted by speedmiser
The PA has been working well for me, but there are some quality contol issues.

PA doesnt seem to own a wire brush or grinder, as they just powder coat right over the slag.

Also, check out the placement of the bolt holes for the frame mounts. One is directly under the main bar. It was an SOB to get the bolt in, even after finding a short bolt and trimming the head.

http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...0_173_full.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...0_175_full.jpg

And I didnt like the fact that it came with no instructions and no bolts - just the k-member itself in box.

Where is the $200 difference coming from ??? When I bought mine last year, there was only about an $80 price difference between PA and BMR.
There are PA K members on ebay all the time for under $300. That's where the $200 or so difference comes in.

Were there any install problems because of the PA not having the motor mount brackets already on it like the BMR does?
Old 02-18-2004, 09:35 AM

I'm gettin the pa over the bmr, because I dont feel like spending 200 more just to have BMR... I think the PA will be totally fine and its got a really good price !!!
Old 02-18-2004, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by slider
There are PA K members on ebay all the time for under $300. That's where the $200 or so difference comes in.

Were there any install problems because of the PA not having the motor mount brackets already on it like the BMR does?
Only problems I had were the ones I mentioned above. If the mounts were integraded, I wouldnt have spent hours trying to find the right size bolts and modifying the one to fit through a poorly designed mounting point.

Prices at Thunder racing still show only a $80 difference between the two brands. But if you can get a new PA for under $300 and dont mind a few hassles - then go for it. If I had it to do over, I would have paid extra to get the BMR...
Old 02-18-2004, 11:36 AM
Banned

Only problems I had were the ones I mentioned above. If the mounts were integraded, I wouldnt have spent hours trying to find the right size bolts and modifying the one to fit through a poorly designed mounting point.

Prices at Thunder racing still show only a $80 difference between the two brands. But if you can get a new PA for under $300 and dont mind a few hassles - then go for it. If I had it to do over, I would have paid extra to get the BMR...
I won't be doing the install, but I still don't want to have to pay more cuz the shop has to do custom crap. That would probably bring the cost up to where a BMR one would be.
Old 02-18-2004, 02:46 PM
Banned

the BMR does not come with bolts either.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:25 PM

if neither kit comes with bolts is thier a reason?
i don't get it.
does the bmr come with directions?
Old 02-18-2004, 09:54 PM
Banned

Originally posted by cndctrdj
if neither kit comes with bolts is thier a reason?
i don't get it.
does the bmr come with directions?
BMR told me it does not come with bolts because it is designed to use your stock bolts. Not sure on the instructions
Old 02-19-2004, 06:55 AM

I have the BMR and there were some fitment issues on my car: (1) pass side Hooker LT interferes with k-member... unforgivable considering the Hookers are probably the most popular LT header for these cars... I ground the k-member and dented the tube for clearance but have to do it again since I didn't go far enough (got a good 1/8" clearance but settled back down to "zero" clearance after running it), (2) the integrated motor stand really reduces the space available for maneuvering the engine in the top... I got the shortblock in (which was close) but I think the heads will have to come off to get it out of there again (I have a Canton pan which may be a factor), (3) the passenger side motor mount tends to sag... I had to put a big washer in there to keep the rear bushing from working itself halfway out (this didn't totally fix #1 but helped), (4) I got the Canton pan version and had to lengthen my steering linkage to fit (I removed the rag joint and installed a 1.25" thick aluminum spacer).

Other than that I am happy with the quality of the piece... great looking welds, etc.

So it sounds like whatever choice you make you are going to have to do some customization.

Quick Reply: Ad for PA Racing K member. What's the real deal?