Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Additions to my brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 05:42 PM

Additions to my brakes

Went in for a brake job a few months ago. Afterwards, they are much much better, but I see these silver "braces" on the front calipers that I have never had before. Not sure why, but it was working great so I thought it was something I must not have had and maybe should have.

Today I notice my cross drilled rotors $$ are being dug into badly. The silver braces in question run the length of the caliper and have two obvious thumb guides at each end. What are they and are they the cause?

Before I go have a talk with the guys at the shop.

Thanks
Old 03-26-2008, 09:45 PM

Sounds like you are talking about the cooling/strength fins on the calipers...or you are talking about new pads slides.....either way it wouldn't be related to what you are talking about.

Grooves in the rotor either come from rocks/gravel dust inbetween the pad and rotor or it would be from an agressive pad.

Pads are getting more agressive lately to help decrease stopping distances and rotors are becoming lighter to help decrease unsprung mass...or if the fact they are cheap aftermarket rotors, they'll do that too.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:20 AM

The rotors are not cheap and I have had them awhile. I have never had this happen and I have changed brakes since I have had them.

The silver things must be guides. As I said, they have "holders" on each end where your thumb would go. Not cooling fins.