Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

adj. panhard bar or not

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 05:29 PM

adj. panhard bar or not

I just measured and the rearend is 3/16 of an inch off center. Is that enough to justify a adj panhard bar? Also is there any other benefits of a aftermarket phr over the stock one? Thanks
Old 12-19-2007, 02:07 PM

Sure. The rear wheels are tracking damned near 1/4" off the fronts ones. I'm not sure which way it's off, but one rear tire is sticking out past that side's front, the other is tucked in relative to the front which can and does effect the balance of the car, and can effect the tracking as well.

There are other advantages as well. You lessen the amount of lateral deflection. The body stays more "above" the axle when you are cornering. Even when it's windy. Basically the rear is just better planted because it's better located. Note that the gain in stiffness does depend on the ends used on the bars. Poly bushings are stiffer than rubber and deflect less, but they deflect more than rod-ends.

A good PHB is in my top 4 things of "to do's" for these cars.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:52 PM

Adj PHB

Sam-- what are the other 3?
Old 12-19-2007, 02:59 PM

Shocks are #1. Then depending on what the person wants, either springs or swaybar upgrades for 2 and 3. But he might not want either, so that would move the PHB up. I do the PHB before SFC's, or STB's, etc. most of the time. Note that this can vary depending upon the situation!

4th gens have severe stability and ride issues as their biggest problems, which is why it's shocks first for a good driving car. We'd do other things first for a drag car for instance, the situation is different.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:44 PM

Thanks for your help Sam. I guess after the phb i will get Koni front shocks. I have koni sa on the back and KYB non adjustable on the front, but I would like the konis up front also. I will give you a call when I am ready to order them. Thanks again for your help
Old 12-19-2007, 06:16 PM
Former Vendor

If you are upgrading the panhard rod the cost is not that much more. If you are off center the adjustable panhard is going to be a must. The biggest decision for you will be what style you want and finding the one that will give you the best bang for your buck. We have a new modular panhard rod system that will allow you to switch between poly ends and rod ends so you can upgrade without going through the major expense of always changing out the complete panhard rod. If you have any questions we would be happy to answer them.