Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Adjustable Lower front A-ARMS

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 01:44 PM

Adjustable Lower front A-ARMS

Okay I just put a new lower A-ARM. They are adjustable. When I first tried to put them in to get going I took measurements off the ones that I took off. Like mounting point to center of ball joint. When they were setup like the OEM, I could not get them into the original mounting points, what measurements then should I start out with?
Old 11-08-2008, 07:17 AM
Administrator

Night want to add some basic info, like the year of the vehicle.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Night want to add some basic info, like the year of the vehicle.
99 Camaro SS.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by GMCAMARO
99 Camaro SS.
what arms are they?

they should be really close as is(mine were) and you should have plenty of room for alignment with the slots.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by mdacton
what arms are they?

they should be really close as is(mine were) and you should have plenty of room for alignment with the slots.
They are UMI, I had no problem adjusting so they would fit easily into the slots. When I do that it no longer has the same dimensions as the OEM set I took off. That is my concern. That would be from center of mounting bolt hole to center of ball joint.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by GMCAMARO
They are UMI, I had no problem adjusting so they would fit easily into the slots. When I do that it no longer has the same dimensions as the OEM set I took off. That is my concern. That would be from center of mounting bolt hole to center of ball joint.
I had to do the same thing. I had to shorten(thread in) the rear bearing several full turns before I could get the rear bolt in. I left mine that way, and had no problem with getting my alighnment set the way I want it.
You have to remember, if you shorten the rear you also shorten the distance between the center of the A-arm mounting bolt hole to the center of the front mounting bolt hole on the A-arm. and If you lengthen the rear it lengthens the distance between to two mount bolt holes in the A-arms..
What you can do is loosely mount the arm in the front hole, then on the rear counted the number of turns you make to mount it in the rear hole. Then go back and Adjust the fronts the same number of turns. This should keep your ball joint to mounting bolt hole measurement equally + from stock on the frt. mnt., and rear mnt..