Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Adjustable Panhard bar for lowered car

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 12:41 PM

Adjustable Panhard bar for lowered car

Anyone see anything wrong with this product?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/82-02...ayphotohosting

I know this has been beaten to death, I can tell by searching, but I wanted to hear what type / brand / material panhard bars everyone is running on their cars.

I searched for the last hour or so...
I just don't want to make a purchase I'm going to regret.
I'm pretty sure i don't want a UMI bar, but hell, I'm a newb when it comes to suspension parts like this... all opinions are much appreciated.

Thank you
Old 04-03-2008, 10:35 PM

What's wrong with UMI products? I've never heard anything real bad that stands out, and in fact, hear lots of positive about their products over on FRRAX (F-Body Road Race & Auto-X forum).

Also, a couple of the local shops around my area seem to run their suspension components in pretty built-up drag cars, and speak highly of the strength and quality of their parts .

For a lowered car you obviously require the ability to adjust the PHB to get your diff centered. A single adjustable is fine, with one poly end, and the other an adjustable rod end. Double rod ended is "technically" better in a way, but is really just over-kill . (I apologize, I'm at work right now and can't view the eBay ad, so I don't know what bar you're looking at specifically).

The PHB is probably one of the "simpler" items in the suspension, so I don't think you can really go wrong with any brand.

Oh, and chromemoly vs. mild steel is purely for weight savings if you're concerned over that (and don't mind spending more money).

EDIT:
Just found this pic in another recent thread Re: adj. PHB:

That bar (the NEW one ) is a poly/poly, single adjustable. That is all you need to get (again, unless you feel like spending more $$ for a double rod-ended bar). I'm pretty sure you can get one that's "in between" which has a rod end on the adjustable end (they eliminate any possible binding in the suspension, whereas poly bushings work in one plane only).

Last edited by Capn Pete; 04-03-2008 at 10:44 PM.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:39 AM
Former Vendor

We are the manufacture of the part you are talking about. We are also a sponsor of this site and if you go to our website you will be able to read about the differences of our panhard rod and the benefits of our swaged tube forged end panhard rods. This is a closer photo of the end so you see the details of them.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
What's wrong with UMI products? I've never heard anything real bad that stands out, and in fact, hear lots of positive about their products over on FRRAX (F-Body Road Race & Auto-X forum).

Also, a couple of the local shops around my area seem to run their suspension components in pretty built-up drag cars, and speak highly of the strength and quality of their parts .

For a lowered car you obviously require the ability to adjust the PHB to get your diff centered. A single adjustable is fine, with one poly end, and the other an adjustable rod end. Double rod ended is "technically" better in a way, but is really just over-kill . (I apologize, I'm at work right now and can't view the eBay ad, so I don't know what bar you're looking at specifically).

The PHB is probably one of the "simpler" items in the suspension, so I don't think you can really go wrong with any brand.

Oh, and chromemoly vs. mild steel is purely for weight savings if you're concerned over that (and don't mind spending more money).

EDIT:
Just found this pic in another recent thread Re: adj. PHB:

That bar (the NEW one ) is a poly/poly, single adjustable. That is all you need to get (again, unless you feel like spending more $$ for a double rod-ended bar). I'm pretty sure you can get one that's "in between" which has a rod end on the adjustable end (they eliminate any possible binding in the suspension, whereas poly bushings work in one plane only).

lol, thats mine. I haven't had a chance to do much more than just drive around the block w/ it. I would rec. a double adj. one if the car is lowered so you can align it faster, i'm going to have to remove and replace mine several times to get the adjustment centered since you can see my stock one didn't give me much of a starting point.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:07 AM
Administrator

The stocker is 43" long, between the centerlines of the bolt holes.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:09 PM

If you order it directly from www.hotpart.com you will save a little bit of money. I have the J&M lower control arms, and they look like nice quality pieces.