Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Adjusting Koni Yellows?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 10:59 PM

Adjusting Koni Yellows?

This thing has always handled great. Better than all my other Fbodies before by leaps and bounds. But I just figured that was due to being lowered and having 315s out back.

I just found out just now, after 6 months of owning my 1994 Trans Am (pretty much moved out of state, so I didn't get much time to inspect this heap) that is has Adjustable Koni Yellows. I'm still pretty psyched about this. The previous owner said full Hotchkis suspension, but he wasn't a car guy. So I just figured they were stock yellow shocks.

Now that I have visually verified Now how do I adjust them? Or do they have to be removed? I don't see a ****, but an article mentioned that the rear shocks have a button on the top that can rotate?

Someone school me please.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:01 AM

Re: Adjusting Koni Yellows?

Two types of rears. One you can do on the car, there is a small flat area on top of the shock that you access from inside and you twist the flat area. The other type you have to remove the shock.

The fronts adjust using a small allen key at the top of the shock body. There is a slot and if you look inside you can insert an allen key and move the adjustment. It can move 8 "sweeps". You will need to take the tire off; hopefully the access slot was installed towards the out side of the car.

Koni has pretty good info on their web page.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:13 PM

Do I have to pull back the carpet to access the top of the shock? I did that last night and I found two nuts on top, no dial, no button, nothing. Are these the 3rd gen model then?
Old 09-16-2011, 08:23 AM

Some you have to take off the car to adjust.

http://www.koni-na.com/adjustment.cfm