Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

aftermarket brakes worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 08:44 PM

aftermarket brakes worth it?

ive been buying the hell out of performance parts and realized i need to stop as quick as i wanted to go ( go figure) anyway, i was looking at brembo brakes and wanted some feedback to see if they are worth it or stick with stock brakes.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:28 AM

Re: aftermarket brakes worth it?

I have the Wilwood Superlite 6 front setup on my 97 T/A. I installed them in September 2003 and I have about 15,000 street miles on them. I still consider them to be one of the best investments I have ever made on my car. They stop like you won't believe and have never faded on me, even once. I have gone through one set of pads in this time, the stocker "E" compound pads which are dusty and noisy, and required a bit of heat to bite best (they bit harder the hotter they got) and I have since switched to "Q" street compound pads which are silent and almost dustless. They bite at any temperature (though not like the unbelievable bite of the E's) and still have no fade. The pads have cost me $65 a set I believe, which is reasonable to pay for upkeep on these brakes. The brakes set me back $1300 including lines originally, and mine are the undrilled and unslotted variety. (My install guide for them is at www.theheadfl.com) I am looking to upgrade my rear brakes to the Wilwood setup when I get a 12 bolt, because my car brake dives like you won't believe because of the stopping power of the front brakes. If I did it again, I would get the Wilwood brake proportioning valve if you keep the stockers in the rear.

I'm coming up on replacing my rotor outer rings (the rotors are two piece design, so you just replace the ring) and these seem to be pretty inexpensive. I am going to pull the calipers this summer to inspect them and see if they need to be re-o-ringed (cheap). (Wilwood recommends 1 1/2 years of street use or so because they have no dust boots)

I can't speak for the Brembos other than I can guarantee my Wilwoods stop just as well and I spent about half what you'd spend on the Brembos. The same goes for Baer, except that the nearest comprable Baer setup is the 4 and 6 piston Alcon setup which is just astronomically priced.

This is how they look behind my wheels:
http://www.theheadfl.com/pics/carwash04.jpg
Old 02-21-2005, 04:50 AM

Unless you're flogging your car on a roadcourse, the stock brakes are more than adequate with decent pads. If you are running the car on roadcourses, yes, the Brembos are worth it. This isn't fun. I got lucky and "threaded the needle" well enough to keep from totalling the car. That wasn't the fault of the braking system, BTW, but of the guy who was supposed to check the pads before that session and didn't and ran them to the backing plates.

Personally, I'd choose the Stoptech system over either the Brembo (because they'er cheaper) or the Wilwood (because I believe they're enough better).

Otherwise, just get some better pads--and don't complain when they squeek a bit and dust more than normal. Everything's a compromise.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:21 AM

I will chime in and second Jon's opinion. The Stoptech brake package looks awesome ... much like a Brembo.

Stoptech has been putting kits on Audis and BMWs for years. It's a proven kit and has lots of R&D to support it.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:53 AM

realize guys...

the original poster has the LS1 brake setup which is leaps and bounds better than the LT1..

so the TheHeadFL i'm sure you needed the full upgrade, but since he already has decent LS1 brakes...good pads are probably all that is needed for him to notice the difference.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:41 AM

If you are not going to roadcoarse, or autox, then there is no need for the upgrade. You have a decent brake seup already with the dual piston LS1 front calipers and 11.8" rotors. If you want a different look to the brakes, then that can influence your decision too.

A great start would be stainless lines, and new pads. For the street, Hawk HPS are popular, as are some carbotechs.

New stainless brake lines (stoptech) would run you about $150, and the pads for all 4 corners will run you around $130. If your rotors are in good shape, you can just have them turned.

I'm very happy with my C5/Z06 brake conversion, and in my opinion is the best bang for the buck, including road coarse and autox events. My entire front conversion, including calipers, rotors, Bob Bishop Brackets, brake fluid stainless lines and two sets of brake pads was $840 including shipping. The problem is finding the required Bob Bishop adaptor bracket.

Here's a
Picture
Picture2
There are better brake systems out there than the C5, but they cost much more, and I personally won't see the difference with my applications.

Dan

Last edited by stereomandan; 02-21-2005 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by stereomandan
New stainless brake lines (stoptech) would run you about $150, and the pads for all 4 corners will run you around $130. If your rotors are in good shape, you can just have them turned.
Dan
Which brake lines did you get? Did you get the LS1 setup, LT1, or C5? Or can you mix and match the lines. Thanks
Old 02-21-2005, 12:58 PM

I have driven many LS1 F-bodies and I still think there is no comparison in braking power with the Wilwoods. Even with upgraded pads. You just don't have the immediately higher brake torque that you get with the Wilwoods.

I would agree that the brakes are not a *neccesity* unless you are on a road course. Of course, more horsepower isn't a neccesity either. I find that having more braking available during daily driving to be a benefit also.

Also, I have seen many people claim that the Wilwoods are "just as good as" or "no better than" a stock C5 brake setup, or even a stock LS1 setup. I certainly beg to differ, from personal experience (LS1 brakes fade badly IMO) but I have never seen anybody back this up with any kind of data or experience or anything. How many of the people who claim a big brake setup is unneccesary have actually driven one?

My original reason for upgrading was riding around with my friend Matt who did the upgrade to his 00 Formula WS6. He certainly felt they were an upgrade over his LS1 brakes with aftermarket pads. Sure, you can use really agressive street pads on your LS1 brakes and buy top dollar solid rotors but your brakes are going to dust like crazy and even be noisy occasionally. I have a friend with the Hawk HPS setup and I certainly would not want to daily drive those pads. Hawk HP+ would be even more extreme. (I was originally considering the HPS setup for my Wilwoods, because Hawk makes any of their pads for my calipers)

Just my .02
Old 02-21-2005, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Black_Z28
Which brake lines did you get? Did you get the LS1 setup, LT1, or C5? Or can you mix and match the lines. Thanks
Stoptech does not sell them as combined kits, which include front and back lines.

I bought C5 front lines and LS1 rear lines. They did not have lines for the LT1 years, at least not that I remember.

If you have an LT1, you can use the rear LS1 lines. I'm not sure about the front lines though if you have a stock front LT1 brake setup. I have the C5 front conversion and the C5 lines were the right choice. The drivers side rear LS1 line was a little long on my LT1 rear brakes, but acceptable, to me.

Dan
Old 02-21-2005, 02:04 PM

I have LS1 fronts and LT1 rears. Are you pretty happy with the StopTech lines? I've heard that you have to do a little modification while using the LS1 lines on a LT1. You have to grind some point where the stainless line meets the hard line on the body.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by TheHeadFL
I have driven many LS1 F-bodies and I still think there is no comparison in braking power with the Wilwoods. Even with upgraded pads. You just don't have the immediately higher brake torque that you get with the Wilwoods.

I would agree that the brakes are not a *neccesity* unless you are on a road course. Of course, more horsepower isn't a neccesity either. I find that having more braking available during daily driving to be a benefit also.

Also, I have seen many people claim that the Wilwoods are "just as good as" or "no better than" a stock C5 brake setup, or even a stock LS1 setup. I certainly beg to differ, from personal experience (LS1 brakes fade badly IMO) but I have never seen anybody back this up with any kind of data or experience or anything. How many of the people who claim a big brake setup is unneccesary have actually driven one?

My original reason for upgrading was riding around with my friend Matt who did the upgrade to his 00 Formula WS6. He certainly felt they were an upgrade over his LS1 brakes with aftermarket pads. Sure, you can use really agressive street pads on your LS1 brakes and buy top dollar solid rotors but your brakes are going to dust like crazy and even be noisy occasionally. I have a friend with the Hawk HPS setup and I certainly would not want to daily drive those pads. Hawk HP+ would be even more extreme. (I was originally considering the HPS setup for my Wilwoods, because Hawk makes any of their pads for my calipers)

Just my .02
I agree. I don't believe that my C5 front brakes are as good as a Wilwood setup. I think the C5 setup is more brake than I will ever need though, so for me to put out more $$$ is not worth it. You get a lot of the same benefits of a much more expensive brake setup, for less money.

I think where the wilwoods, brembo's and some others have the upper hand is with even pad wear. The multiple, different diameter pistons help produce even wear.

Fade is more of a function of pad and rotor design, and fluid. The C5 holds it's own when compared to more expensive kits, in the fade resistance area. There are certainly much better performers than the C5 setup though, and I would think that the Wilwoods would be one of them.

Dan
Old 02-21-2005, 02:11 PM

I have LS1 fronts and LT1 rears. Are you pretty happy with the StopTech lines? I've heard that you have to do a little modification while using the LS1 lines on a LT1. You have to grind some point where the stainless line meets the hard line on the body.
You don't have to do any grinding with stainless lines. There are no tabs on the lines so they slide right through the bracket hole without modification.

Yes, I'm very happy with my Stoptech lines.

Dan
Old 02-21-2005, 04:48 PM

I agree. I don't believe that my C5 front brakes are as good as a Wilwood setup. I think the C5 setup is more brake than I will ever need though, so for me to put out more $$$ is not worth it. You get a lot of the same benefits of a much more expensive brake setup, for less money.

I think where the wilwoods, brembo's and some others have the upper hand is with even pad wear. The multiple, different diameter pistons help produce even wear.

Fade is more of a function of pad and rotor design, and fluid. The C5 holds it's own when compared to more expensive kits, in the fade resistance area. There are certainly much better performers than the C5 setup though, and I would think that the Wilwoods would be one of them.

Dan
I probably would have gone with the C5 kit if it was commercially available at the time, which it wasn't.

The pad wear on the Wilwoods is very even, I couldn't be happier with that part. The only thing I am disappointed about is that my calipers are losing their black annodization from weathering!
Old 02-21-2005, 04:59 PM

You don't have to do any grinding with stainless lines. There are no tabs on the lines so they slide right through the bracket hole without modification.

Yes, I'm very happy with my Stoptech lines.

Dan
Cool, where did you buys yours??
Old 02-21-2005, 06:25 PM

Cool, where did you buys yours??
Directly from Stoptech www.stoptech.com

Dan

Quick Reply: aftermarket brakes worth it?