Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

air ride

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 07:00 PM

air ride

i was wounderig how much handling would i lose if i put air bags on my car? i would like to be able to raise my car up to go down the rosd to my house but put it on the groung anyother time. but dont want to loose my handling

Thanks
Shane
Old 01-05-2007, 12:41 AM

i didn't loose any on the street just a better ride. i am however running a 4 way or 8 valve setup though to restrict any air transfer and get what many would refer to as a baloon effect. some run 2 way or 4 valve setups and you won't have very nice handling.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:31 AM

Except it would jack up the alignment of your rear axle every time you went up or down. Sure, you could have it set up so the alignment is correct when you're at whatever height you're going to be driving at most of the time, but good luck getting back to that same level every time. Say you have it aligned for when you've got it low, every time you raise it up, it's going to shift the whole axle towards the driver's side.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:11 PM

it moves everything around until you go to the proper setting that you set it up too. getting to that level is easy with the ART controls however i would recommend smaller valves as the larger valves do make it difficult to dial it in to the exact pound.

as far as having it alighned low.. how low are you talking? of course it's going to move the axle slightly when you move the car but that's why you have the adjustable suspension to go with it to keep this from happening. none of which is an issue because you should not be moving your car up or down while driving on the road so any little movement isn't a concern and it always goes back when you put it to the right height.

Old 01-06-2007, 12:28 AM

Can't say that I've ridden in a F-Body with an air setup on it, but I'd always laugh every time I watched my buddies trying to adjust the bags in their trucks and they'd be bouncing all over the place and slamming their bumpers on the ground trying to get the right height.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:54 AM

yeah they must not have very nice setups then as that shouldn't happen ever. the only time something moves that fast is with 3/4" fast bag style valves and you can still regulate it. they just don't care at that point as with the air ride system it's adjusted similar to that as a factory ride adjustment would move on a lexus or rangerover.

if any of you are on myspace join mine and you will be able to see videos of it in action here over the weekend.