Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Air Suspension, need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 07:32 PM

Air Suspension, need help

Hey guys, I guess this would be the right place to ask. Where can I buy a kit with everything needed to put a 94 Z28 on bags? I almost sold my car to buy an S10 for the sole purpose of having bags, but I realized so many people around my area have bagged s-10's it's like a factory option. I would be the first around with a bagged camaro. I want to at least be to go front, back, side, side, and all four wheels individually. Who makes the best kit? Is any cutting or welding involved? How dependable is it if I used steel braided lines? If I used the rubber hoses? How much height adjustment can I expect? anyone have pics of where to put air tanks and compressors along with 2 solo baric 12's and 2 1000d amps? I guess the back seats have to go. any pics of bagged camaros in general? Thanks and God Bless
Old 11-22-2004, 01:16 AM

Re: Air Suspension, need help

ok you want to be the first in your area being SC to have air ride on a camaro? check out event pictures from (*****NOT a WORK FRIENDLY LINK ****)www.gaugemagazine.com as you certainly won't be the first but there is nothing wrong with that.

with that out of the way i personally believe AirRideTechnologies makes the best equipment although they certainly aren't the cheapest.

you can check them out here at www.ridetech.com having airride on my car i can say it's the best modification i've done to date. unfortunately you can't post pictures and i don't have a site to host them but just look up air ride camaro on the internet as there are at least a few dozen to point you in the right direction.

after you finish doing some research come back if you have more detailed questions.

also, ART has a message forum where people from ART direct as well as vehicle owners ask questions and discuss various aspects of air ride in general.

good luck.

Last edited by kandied91z; 11-22-2004 at 01:19 AM.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:38 PM

Well, I guess you are right about the Sc thing. I meant more locally, as in the North Augusta/Augusta Area. No one has a bagged Camaro, but I see where the confusion can occur. Yeah, I have looked through Gauge magazine before but was kinda disgusted by the topless girls. I believe I will go with air ride, seeing as how I like the easy bolt in installation. I understand I need the air struts and rear bags, but I am totally clueless when it comes to what else I need. I want ATLEAST F,B,S,S, and I don't know what kinda of compressors, valves (and how many), fittings, tank, hoses, gauges, and all the other stuff to get. I want it to go up pretty quickly, no hopping though, but down slow enough to where it won't bang anything hard. Anyone know what to get, thanks and God Bless.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:26 PM

yeah topless girls are great aren't they!

anyhow to have 4 way control (F,B,S/S) you need 8 valves total or basically 4 as they come in pairs. each pair allows air in and out. having 4 pairs one for each corner allows control to do this. the closer they are to the bag the faster they are controlled.

valves are made by numberous companies like air ride, chassis tech, air lift, parker, etc. i prefer air ride as i said before because it's a simple process but anyone of the above companies or others that make valves will get the job done. compressor size determines how fast your tanks fill and how much power is drained from your batter. viair is a pretty good company. i happen to have their 450 which works quite well but it depends on tank size. the larger air tank the more air you have to play obviously. the air line used can either be rubber/plastic standard type or some people spend the money for braided line..... braided isn't really needed here but if you feel it's necessary it only helps. the larger the line the faster your car will move. 1/4" is a going standard for cheaper packages. i have 3/8" and 1/2" is a very popular size with those who really want it to move. as far as lowering that is also controlled by the size of your valves and the lines connected. obviously the larger the size the more air you move... you can slow this down though by putting a more restrictive air hose on the exit end of your valves or in my case i have all 8 valves connected as a block so i only need one exit line. the car drops plenty fast even still.

with ART's big red valves(4 pairs), 3/8" line, 5 gallon tank and one viair compressor my car raises up in 2 seconds. from ride height i can go down, up, down, up and half up again before the compressors kick on. this is more then enough for me as i don't use it much but for parking/shows or suspension adjustment. for those that want more play time a second compressor would be best and possibly another tank.

i wouldn't go larger then 8 gallon with only one good compressor. it's best to have more compressor power then actual tank space.

if you want a direct kit just go to ART, chassis tech or air lift as all 3 have package deals for 4thgens. if you want to learn more suck it up a bit and search through gaugemagazine, minitruckin and the rest to read up on what parts do what. once you go through with it though you'll be quite happy as the setups work as good as they are fun.

good luck with it.

Old 11-22-2004, 08:56 PM

Wow, thanks for the help. Let me ask one more questions. If I want F/B/S/S and each wheels independantly (fr/fl/rr/rl) would I need more valves? Thanks and God Bless.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:02 PM

I checked out ridetech.com for air ride technologies. I couldn't find any complete kits. are they on the website? Also, at chassis tech, are the air struts bolt in or do you have to weld? God Bless.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:47 PM

to be honest if your truly intereted as in cash in hand sort of situation then it's best to call up each company and talk to someone. look a little harder as all of the companies have online catalogs and all of them list the parts needed for your car.

If I want F/B/S/S and each wheels independantly (fr/fl/rr/rl)
i do not understand what this means but 4 pairs will do the trick.