Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

alignment on a 4-link

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 04:18 PM

alignment on a 4-link

How is alignment done on a 4-link front suspension? I know caster/camber plates are used on 3-link fronts, but I don't know how its done on 4-link set ups.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:23 PM
Banned

What is a 4 link front?
what is a 3 link front?

a front alignment is basically done the same way....sometimes you have to slot the holes more and get and eesintris bolt kit

The 3rd gen types have adjustment up top.....
the 3rd gens have alot of forward caster....are you trying to do one? or just want to know?
Old 03-04-2007, 04:37 PM

What do mean, "whats a 3link front, what's a 4link front?" 3 link is strut, lower a arm, body. 4-link is 2 upper, 2 lower a arms.
http://www.miracerros.com/mustang/t_suspension.htm

Anyway, yes I just want to know.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:41 PM
Banned

i've nevr heard it refered to that way before.....I thought it was a mcpherson type and then the short arm long arm
I did learn something new tho, Thanks
Old 03-04-2007, 05:02 PM

Yeah, you're just saying 6 and i'm saying half a dozen. Whatever. Still, how do you do alignment on a SLA suspension?
Old 03-04-2007, 05:10 PM
Banned

from my experiens every car is different....on a fourth gen with stock arms...its all done from the bottom control arm...the hole are slotted to get your caster/camber then tie rods for the toe
I don't recall of the top of my head but I don't think the stock upper arm is adjustable, however if you need to get it out or in a little most shops have kits for this to elongate the hole

the third gens have the camber plate on the top mount..you loosen the 3 bolts and move it to where you need to....

I have all rod end stuff and it takes alot more time to get it right b/c you have to keep taking stuff off to adjust it....

as far as alignments machines have changed ALOT over the past 10 years too.

when I was at a chrystler dealership most of the cars didn't have any adjustment so if it needed to be tweaked at all you had a tool to cut the holes out/or slot them out and you had to get the bolt kits...you have a bolt with a washer welded on it but the washer is off center, this way when you turn the bolt the washer pushes it over/slides it and gives you your adjustment.

If you want to learn about it I think the ASE study guides are free and they have all the info in there.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:30 PM

cool...thanks for the info.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:56 PM

different cars have different adjustment points for alignment

3rd gen f-bodies are can adjust camber and caster with aftermarket strut mounts and toe by the tie rod adjusting sleeve

other strut suspensions (3 links) can also be adjust by an eccentric where the strut mounts to the spindle or an eccentric at the lower control arm

the 4th gens have an sla (short/long arm, 4 link) i havent familiarized myself with adjustments on the 4th gens front end yet
but typical sla's can have adjustmets at the upper control arm by using shims to space the control arm farther out, or eccentrics, and the toe is aligned by loosening the tie rods lock nut and rotating the inner tie rod end
Old 03-04-2007, 11:40 PM
Administrator

mdacton gave you the correct info for the 4th Gen 4-link coil-over suspension. The vertical and horizontall bushings in the lower control arms have slotted bolts. There are no adjustments on the upper a-arms, and no shims.