Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Alignment/Loose Steering

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 10:23 PM

Alignment/Loose Steering

Okay took the car to alighnment shop today, Im in Southern TX and well we got some crazy weather going on down here right now the RAIN was horrible on the POS tires I thought LOOKED cool.

So anyways @ the alighnment shop Edward ( alighnment shop guy) sits in the car wiggles my steering wheel because the shifter wouldnt shift into gear (Automatic Tranny). He says something to do with bent steering column or linkage, says even if he does the alighnment it wont matter....there is no audible sounds or anything there is a looseness in the wheel and it sits croocked (I ran a curb)

So i sat in the car pushed down on the shifter (thing with the button on top) it slid downwards and seemed to lock into place...so now it goes into gear just fine, my guess is it slid up or I pulled on it or something I dunno. SO I kinda felt like his hard shift broken column thing went out the window.

Anyways is this guy pulling my leg or what? And what should I be looking for here as far as "broken-ness" what am I needing to inspect??

And if you are wondering...No this guy didnt even lay over on his side to look under he 1. Wiggled the wheel side to side up and down 2. Tried to shift into gear which he got in a couple of seconds. (I seem to have popped shifter back into place?) 3. Told me that column needed to be fixed...
Old 09-17-2010, 10:32 PM

Probably better to start a new thread when talking about different problems. People that know suspension aren't going to know to look in a thread about O2 sensors.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:05 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by razor02097
Probably better to start a new thread when talking about different problems. People that know suspension aren't going to know to look in a thread about O2 sensors.
Good call. I broke the new topic off, gave it a "topic" and moved it here to "Suspension.....".
Old 09-18-2010, 12:08 PM

Thank you guys, I'm sorry its been a long week. Just go in from out of town, so tired haha.

I'm hoping to get something done with all this issues on steering / alighnment this weekend get some parts ordered and what not. Thanks again guys. Injuneer hoping to hear from you man, I've never touched anything aside from tie rods and a rack n pinion (front wheel drive car) on steering...and I'm pretty intimidated to be totally honest.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:17 AM

Links to specific F-Body having to do with steering components, troubleshooting, etc all welcome as I have no idea to be looking for leaking, which their isnt any...bent tie rods innner or outer, which their isnt any, and well the column I have no idea what that should even look like.

Any info is useful I go back out of town tomm morning 4am, So all hope of getting it done this weekend is out the window.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:56 AM

Easiest way to check for play is to simply stand and watch the driver side tire and you move the wheel back and forth. See how much you can move the wheel before the tires move. A little movement- 1" or so is normal IMO.

Also check your rag-joint. It is halfway between the firewall and 'rack'. If your car is stock it is still likely surrounded by a plastic shroud. That will pop off and you can see what it looks like. See if it shows any signs of damage. Good places to start as well.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:17 AM

Thanks man, Ill be sure to check on that. I know it does have some play as the wheel moves freely here and there depending on the road. Ill be sure to check on that this coming weekend. I also have to look at the starter because I think it was damaged the car slid of the jack stand and I think straight into the starter. Posted about that in the LT1 area. Thank You again!
Old 09-20-2010, 12:45 PM

As for your shifter problem... The shifter lock cables and such are all inside the cab. One thing for the brake pedal and one part that goes up to the ignition key cylinder. Is that what he was talking about?

It seems like maybe you have 2 problems... One is the locking mechanism and the other is an alignment issue. The impact could have done something to the column but unlikely as it has a rag joint and a u type joint before it goes to the steering wheel shaft.

I know your car is down right now but did you drive it after hitting the curb? Did it track straight or did it pull to one side now?
Old 09-20-2010, 01:20 PM

It pulls off to the right side pretty good. The steering wheels "straight" is turned to the right about 2 o'clock. As far as him not looking at the car ALL he said was something in the column was messed up or bent because the way the shifter was acting. and that it wouldnt matter if he did an alighnment or not.

But when I grabbed the shifter and pushed down on it, it slid down and seemed to lock into place and hadnt had a problem with it since then.

As for those joints and all that do they make and assembly I could buy to bolt on and just go ahead and replace the factory unit? I imagine maybe it is those joints u spoke of that are messed up if anything. but on the other hand I dont have any other problems aside from the pull to the right and steering wheels croockedness.

As well drove it home through this horrible weather about a 25 to 30 min drive and as it went through some of the puddles and uneven roads it had a good little bit of play as well.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:30 PM

Play in the steering wheel can be caused by several things. there are 2 bolts on the steering shaft. One that mounts it to the steering wheel shaft and the other that mounts onto the rack and pinion unit.

make sure the tie rod ends aren't damaged and the rack and pinion shafts aren't bent.

Check the rack itself for play... the impact may have broken the mounts.

Checking all at once is easy if you have a buddy... Remove both debris shields from the steering shaft. One just pops off the other has 2 plastic latches and a zip tie like fastener. Ask your buddy to go in the car and (with the engine off) wiggle the steering wheel back and forth slow while you check the steering shaft (for binding or play), rack itself (it shouldn't move), and tie rod ends (should be tight).
Old 09-20-2010, 01:36 PM

Thanks a lot man that helps a bunch! Im going to look at all of that this weekend when I get back in. Im hoping all this kind of work isnt too bad, it doesnt look that it would be...everything seems pretty easy to get to. Are there any special tools I may be needing for this one?

and Thanks Again man!
Old 09-20-2010, 01:56 PM

no special tools

Since you have an issue with the starter maybe just jacking it up would be better. That way you can assess both problems easier. Just be careful with those jack stands man... make sure you put them on a solid part like the jacking points on the frame or a part the jack cradle can straddle like an axle tube (if jacking up the rear). Maybe even drive up ramps... just jack the car up and slip them under the front wheels. At stock ride height you should be able to just back off of them.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:01 PM

Yeah I prob will use the jack stands, money has gotten kind of tight lately. This car is sucking up its share for sure. Hopefully well worth it. I will repost on my findings with this and more then likely will have pictures to show on everything to bring everyone up to speed and more insight as to what could have happened here.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:16 AM

So I havent looked at it yet but Ive been reading up and preparing for the worst. I found this rag joint eliminator and want to do this. As well on this page they show the part painted in red, does anyone have any idea where I could buy replacements for them. Id like to know so I can start pricing. Thanks again everyone hope to hear back soon. I wont be back till saturday its looking like but hopefully sooner.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:31 AM

I can't see the link at this computer but if you want to eliminate the rag joint just buy an LS1 steering shaft.

Quick Reply: Alignment/Loose Steering