Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Alignment/Loose Steering

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by razor02097
I can't see the link at this computer but if you want to eliminate the rag joint just buy an LS1 steering shaft.
Well, I was planning on going that route but even the guys with the LS1's were replacing whatever part they had there with this one. Its a steal plate with Grade 8 hardware, specially coated, and by everything that Ive read gives very great response in comparison to anything stock??

Is the rest of the parts called the steering shaft?? Because Id like to just go ahead and replace it while im there you know.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:53 AM

Hey everyone Im trying to get a hold of these people all they have is email and its been a week so far and nothing. Even a similar part with the same concept would work great.

Here is the link to people I cant get a hold of. LINK
Old 09-27-2010, 09:23 AM

so is the rag joint damaged? If not then the eliminator isn't going to fix your loose steering issue.

In my unprofessional opinion if you are going to replace the rubber with something what about just bolting the hubs together?

The LS1 shaft is cleaner and offers slightly more clearance around where the stock rag joint would be.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:07 AM

I wanted to get the rag joint eliminator for the LT1 shaft, A member on here is going to send me. He says the unit is in good condition so I really do not need to change the whole deal but Id like to as it would all be new. I imagine changing the whole unit will fix ANY problems I had from the impact on the curb aside from the alignment itself.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:36 AM

Okay so here is the update, I got the steering shaft off...and the rag joint had two tears where the bolts go through just enough to have a little play and cause some issues.

I as well ordered the rag joint eliminator from the same guy I got the steering shaft from (ddr698 - very good guy whoe even helped me set up a paypal) the rag joint it on its way.

After the installation of the the steering shaft/rag joint, the steering was tighter still off on alighnment. So i took it in they straightened it out.

Here is where I wonder the guy there told me that the caster is off if I remm correctly the degree is 5.5 degrees off on the left side. He says he thinks the car was in an accident because my running the curb couldnt have caused it to be so far off. Any input on this?

The car drive pretty good just here and there it pulls to the right slightly not much and I can live with it. The man at the shop said I have no need to worry about my tires wearing any faster. Just wanted to see what the forum has to say about this all.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:53 PM

Re: Alignment/Loose Steering

your running the curb could have thrown it off how hard did you hit the curb is what is going to tell if you threw the caster off it is more than likely that is what happened also what side did you hit the curb with but does it need to be fixed yes because it WILL give uneven wear to that tire because the side is not balanced

(caster camber i know alot about i have a full built 240sx drift car as well)
Old 11-23-2010, 10:23 AM

Re: Alignment/Loose Steering

Hey man sorry for the late followup, the car right now is driven less then 40 miles a week Id say.

It is the left side that it is off, and it is the left side where it hit the curb. I was under the car a little while back and noticed the nuts where the lower control arm bolts up to the frame? Not sure if that is where the lower control arm bolts too but anyways.

I see the shadow of where the nut used to rest and where it rests now. NOW it rests to the left of the shadow as in the nut slid out towards the road, Id say about half a centimeter more or less. Didnt know if maybe I should move it back where the shadow is and then back to the alighnment shop later or what?