Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Another LS1 brake upgrade thread...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 09:38 AM

Another LS1 brake upgrade thread...

I would really like to upgrade the system on my LT1 but was wondering if there are suppliers that actually sell all this stuff new for a fair price? I have heard horror stories about bent knuckles from used kits. Id love to just get a used kit, but would hate to see that it went to waste because one or both of the knuckles are not useable once on. Plus all the kits i see on ebay do not include the knuckles... but auctions say it is a direct bolt on replacement (which obviously isnt the case).

Anybody ever just buy everything minus pads and/or rotors from GM or anybody else?
Old 06-14-2006, 01:09 PM

Re: Another LS1 brake upgrade thread...

anybody? Geez... help.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:24 PM

gota give it more than 3 hours man...alota people are at work and you get most of you replies very early, and after 6pm...give it through tontie and a few people should chime in...im guess go for a used kit and hope that theyarent ruined, i kno a guy or 2 that are parting out a ls1, this site is prodominantly lt1 so go on ls1 tech and look/post in the wanted adds
Old 06-14-2006, 03:05 PM

ok, thanks... ive been lookin on there a little bit too. But i have a question... maybe Im just an idiot, but i see guys selling their stock setups on there and they dont mention the knuckles at all, but mention spindles. Are spindles and knuckles the same?
Old 06-14-2006, 07:14 PM

Yes, knuckles and spindles are the same thing. I actually got my used LS1 spindles from this message board...just the spindles for like $25 or something. Yeah, my local junk yard wanted too much for them...those guys know about the LS1 upgrades, so they know people want them.

Just watch and see, and you might see some LS1 spindles up for sale on the board. I thought about going the "GM route" and getting new ones, because I also heard of misalignment horror stories, but my local dealership was saying $200 for EACH new spindle...I'll take the risk of a few sets of used ones.

If you got a local junk yard, see if you can find a car that wasn't totaled at the front...maybe rearended or sideswiped. Hopefully you have a better chance at getting "straight" ones.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:25 PM

I haven't yet heard about people getting bent ones, but when your buying them from a wrecked car anything is possible.

If your interested, I've got a set of LS1 brakes with modified caliper mount brackets that allow you to use 13" C5 rotors with the stock LS1 calipers. You will have to have 17" or larger rims to fit them. They include the calipers w/brackets, hoses and hose mount brackets and spindles with new upper ball joints. You would need rotors and pads. I'm asking $250 +shipping.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by WestCoast96Z28
Yes, knuckles and spindles are the same thing. I actually got my used LS1 spindles from this message board...just the spindles for like $25 or something. Yeah, my local junk yard wanted too much for them...those guys know about the LS1 upgrades, so they know people want them.

Just watch and see, and you might see some LS1 spindles up for sale on the board. I thought about going the "GM route" and getting new ones, because I also heard of misalignment horror stories, but my local dealership was saying $200 for EACH new spindle...I'll take the risk of a few sets of used ones.

If you got a local junk yard, see if you can find a car that wasn't totaled at the front...maybe rearended or sideswiped. Hopefully you have a better chance at getting "straight" ones.
YIKES 200 a piece??!?!?!?!? Dang, i just called a hook up that I have at a chevy dealer by me to possibly price out everything that I would need. Looks like I will have to go the used route if that is what he comes back to me with. Thanks for the input...
Old 06-17-2006, 09:09 PM

there's a guy from PA selling out of a junk yard on ebay. he usually sells LS1 engine/tranny packages, but when there's not a front end collision he'll sell the brakes too. he's good for not selling crap. he warrants the parts, will trade if you want and are willing to pay the shipping. if you're local email me and i'll give you directions. new jersey/pa area...specificly bristol pa.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:25 AM

im in illinois... but it sounds nice
Old 06-20-2006, 03:24 PM

bought mine off ebay, $175 shipped everything minus rotors.